|Happy New Year 2012!|
This will be my last post here at Luke, I am Your Father.
Of 2011 that is. Ba Dum, Dum! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yes, It's still 2011 here in Seattle as I write this, but the New Year is currently steamrolling across to globe and headed our way like a bunch of crazed, vintage 1985, Seahawks fans leaping from their seats in a successive Wave, and throwing their arms wildly into the air. Only, it's timing is much better.
And, even though it's been quite a while since I partied like it was 1999 (our store of Poppers for tonight not withstanding - woo hoo!), I wanted to make sure to note the passing of the old year and welcome the new one with a final post containing some of my goals for my role as a father for the upcoming calendar year.
Yeah, resolutions can be a lame attempt by those lacking proper normal resolve to use the changing of the calendar as a metaphor for the changing of their habits to ones which might serve themselves better in the upcoming year. But hey - when you are generally sleep deprived and up to your eyeballs in daily 'tasks', it doesn't hurt once a year to give yourself a mental boost by using them to give yourself a bit of extra motivation.
All that being said, even though I think I am a pretty good father to Lukas, I believe I can do even better in the new year.
So here are the 5 Dad Resolutions I have made for myself for 2012.
1. I resolve to get to bed by midnight every night - This sounds crazy when I read it, but in reality I am often not getting to bed until 1 or 2 in the morning. Especially on weekends. Obviously this makes me tired the next day and I am subsequently not as engaged with Lukas as I could be. I should really be in bed by 11:00 but will start with midnight for now. Baby steps.
2. I resolve to look first for an opportunity to teach - I joke around a lot with Lukas. I like to make him laugh, and we do a lot. But I really need to take a cue from Mrs. LIAYF and more often look first to teach Lukas about why things are the way they are, rather than turn it into a joke. He deserves that more than I currently give to him.
3. I resolve to reduce my random online time by 50% - Sure, this is hard to measure, but it is a goal. I spend a lot of time online doing things that don't ultimately benefit Lukas. Cough*Twitter*Cough. Yes, I still give him quite a bit of attention but I can still do better. And will. This doesn't mean I will stop blogging, but there are certainly other areas where I can certainly reduce my screen time.
4. I resolve to exercise 3 times a week - This one is huge. I am forty four years old now, and although I am not in terrible shape, I am not in good shape either. I often feel guilty when I am too exhausted to engage Lukas in an activity he wants to participate in. As I get older, for Lukas' sake I really need to ensure he has a healthy father around.
5. I resolve to discipline more consistently - This is not a big problem with us, but I am a pretty laid back guy and can tend to let things go when I should be providing a more consistent message with Mrs. LIAYF. It will definitely serve Lukas well as he grows older to have a clear message from both his parents on where his boundaries lie.
So, tell me readers. Do you have any parenting resolutions for 2012? Care to share?