Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Random Tuesday: 13 Edition


Lukas is all about his tools right now. We have given him his own toolbox with a hammer (wooden), a mini level, toddler sized screwdrivers, nuts and bolts, and also a compact working tape measure. It's fun to watch him engage in rather serious play, 'fixing' everything from his toy tractor to his very own furniture. He is also constantly using his tape measure, pulling out the tape to measure the length of practically anything he comes across.
-
The only problem is that the answer to the question "How long is that Lukas?" is invariably thirteen. "Lukas, how long is daddy's hand?" "Dirteen" "How long is Lukies table?" "Dirteen" "How long is the laptop?" "Dirteen". So, I was surprised when Mrs. LIAYF asked him yesterday "How long is that block?" and the answer came back "Twooo", which was surprisingly close.

Lukas and I once again saw the 'Honey Bucket Truck' on the way to work this morning. It Sucked.

I wrote yesterday about my brush with fame when we met Chris Bellew, lead singer from The Presidents of the United States of America. Well, that was not my only brush with fame this past week. This past Thursday I actually, for the first time since I began this blog back in January of 2008, met another dad blogger I have been interacting with online. In fact Whit from Honea Express was the very first person to leave a comment on Luke, I am your Father, and it was exciting for me to meet him. And yes, he is just as funny in person as he is on his blog.


With our son in daycare during most of our housecation, Mrs. LIAYF and I took the opportunity to do something we have rarely had the chance to do since he was born. Yeah, real funny. I know my readers and where you would go with that. No, we actually we took in a couple of movies at the theater. We saw the new Harry Potter movie which was alright, but not great, and we also saw 500 days of Summer, which we both really dug. I hadn't heard of it, and honestly my expectations were that it would be just another chick flick. But it turned out to be a smart, funny, and different sort of love story story about love. Well worth putting in your queue. Plus, it stars that kid from Third Rock from the Sun.

Is it a bad thing to check out CD's from the local Library and rip them to your PC? Not that I would do that, of course, I was just wondering what you thought.

There is this couple in our neighborhood who we run into often. Probably 7-8 times in the past year. They have a son slightly older than Lukas and we have conversed with them for several minutes on more than one occasion. The thing is that they never remember us. Each time it is like we are meeting them for the first time. It is becoming sort of a joke between Mrs. LIAYF and I. We even know their son's name. Just the other day we ran into them again at our local farmer's market and the father looked over at me with a sort of recognition, paused a couple of moments with a puzzled look on his face and said. "Hey, don't I know you from coaching?"

"No, I don't think so" was my only reply before Mrs. LIAYF mentioned to the wife that we have run into them on a few occasions around town. I may just have to start messing with them soon.

Photo by Elliot Ng

13 comments:

Unknown said...

i saw what the honey bucket trucks do on that show "worlds most disgusting jobs" (i think it was called that...could have been "worst jobs"...whatever).

it was icky.

i pretty much forgot the rest of your post after that what with all the memories triggering my gag reflex.

nice to meet you:)

andy

p.s. treasure the early years with your kids...it won't be long until they hate you;)

p.p.s. that sounds kind of jaded. sorry...i'm sure they won't really hate you. that time my 5 year old told me to 'eff' off was probably a one time deal.

Whit said...

Why am I leaning? I didn't drink that much.

SciFi Dad said...

Dude, first the P.O.T.U.S.A. guy and now Whit? This is turning into a name-dropping blog.

Anonymous said...

Ahh...you can always find a couple of minutes for "that"...good job grabbing a couple of movies together. I bet it felt weird.

Anonymous said...

You totally need to start messing with them. Running into someone once or twice is one thing, but seven or eight?

My little man loves his little hand tools, but we had to take his drill away because he wouldn't keep the working end out of his mouth.

WILLIAM said...

Very Cool you got to meet Whit.

FilmFather said...

Regarding the ripping of CDs from your library...I've done it with little to no shame in the past. Go for it.

And if the library doesn't have the album you want, a quick Google search of the album name and "megaupload," "mediafire," or "rapidshare" will probably get you what you want.

Lady Mama said...

Ripping CDs? Totally illegal. So is ripping every DVD you rent so that you can share them with your friends with Apple TVs, which I have NEVER done.

I admit I was thinking woohoo! before you got to the part about going to the movies. Making mental note of that film 500 days of summer - I'll persuade my husband to watch it since it's not really a chick flick.

Captain Dumbass said...

I think it is now your duty to mess with those people.

Vodka Mom said...

The Golden Boy started taking things apart at a very young age. One time he took a wrench (is that right?) and detached the toilet from the floor. somehow.


jesus.

Ron said...

All three of my boys had the toy tools too. By son #3 with all the hand-me-downs there was a hodge-podge mix in the box. Looked like my real tool box.

That's way cool about getting together with Honea Express. Ironically, my wife and I just had lunch this week with Stiletto Mom. It's fun to put the live face to the blog.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Princess Andy - I will! And the Honey Bucket Truck had me gaging too. It sucked. Thanks for stopping by.

@Whit - Clearly we are remembering differently. Weren't you wondering how you ended up back home on your doorstep?

(ok, I made that up. I wouldn't want anyone to think that Whit drinks more than his share.)

@Scifi - Visiting Seattle anytime soon? You could be next.

@MTAE - Yes, it felt wierd.

@PJ - It wasn't a power drill was it?

@William - Yeah, it was.

@Film Father - Thanks for the tips. My conscience is much more clear now.

@Lady Mama - It is still sort of a chick flick. Just a smart one a guy should enjoy.

@Captain - I have plans.

@Vodka Mom - Ha! I am hiding my wrenches now. Thanks for stopping by.

@CK - It is fun. Visiting Seattle anytime soon? You could beat Scifi to the punch and be next.

Knatolee said...

Okay, I checked out Honea Express and saw a post where Whit expressly mentioned that he does not smile in photos. And yet, in this photo with you, the corners of his mouth are definitely turning upwards. Impressive!

I face the library CD conundrum myself. I like to listen to library stuff on my iPod, but I suspect that it's not strictly legal to be copying the library CDs! But morally I suppose you could argue that if you erase what you copy after you listen to it, you're in the clear with the forces of good. Hmmmm....