Sunday, March 27, 2011

Holy Dry-Shorts Batman!

Another milestone has been reached here at Casa LIAYF.

Lukas, who has been in underwear for well over a year now, still has his occasional accidents. This happens mostly at preschool, and because he gets so focused on what he is doing, or playing with that he doesn't realize that he needs to go until it's too late. So, it's an ongoing process.

But recently we have been employing a reward systems for different types of good behavior and promised him that if he went for a week straight without being wet, excluding sleep time, we would buy him brand new underwear.   And he would get to pick them out, with any characters he wanted.

Well, this past week after several near misses, he finally did it! He was dry all day for a whole week straight.  We were very proud of him, and let him know it with pelnty of hugs, kisses, and high fives.  Plus Mrs. LIAYF, who picked him up from preschool, drove him straight to Target to pick out which new underwear he wanted.

After careful deliberation, Lukas decided go old school and pass on the Marvel underwear as well as the Pixar underwear which sported  the likes of Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Cars, and Nemo, for none other than a five pack of skivies sporting the Superheros from The Justice League, one of my childhood favorites.  These included Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern and, of course, Batman.  What can I say, the boy loves the concept of Superheros.
-
I heard all about the selection from a super charged and grinning 3 year old when I arrived home from work Friday.  But that actually wasn't even the best part.  I was also greeted with "Close your eyes Daddy.  We have something for you too!".  I couldn't think what it could have been, but obliged nonetheless and also held out my hands as instructed. 

Then when the lovely Mrs. LIAYF handed something to Lukas, who then placed the soft item into my hands, I opened my eyes to behold....my very own pair!

I could use Bruce Waynes $$ too!

What a surprise!  Apparently my being dry all week also qualified me Superhero underwear too.  Believe it or not, these are the first pair I have ever owned.  I never even had Underoos as a kid as I think I was too old when they came out.
-
Then, after a cleansing run through the wash cycle, Lukas and I both got a chance to wear our new super shorts all day Saturday.  We had a lot of fun too.  (Well, that's if you qualify a middle-aged dad running through the house in his underwear singing Na-na-na-nuh, Na-na-na-nuh, Na-na-na-nuh Batman! as fun.) 

And while Lukas insisted on wearing his new underwear backwards (because that way he could see the Superheros, and thus causing the front to be in back with the narrower fabric slipping into his little cheeks), I was able to officially dispell any notions that if you wear Batman underwear at night and lean back pointing them to the sky - with your hands on your hips - that you can make the Bat signal appear.

Anyway, the process of potty training can be a long ordeal, and using rewards to speed up the process has proven to be a beneficial, at least for us. 

Congratulations Lukas.  You are a Super good boy.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaannnnnnddddd......now we can all picture you in your underwear. Win.

"Trauma Mama S" said...

Shared this one on facebook! Potty training has been going on for two years over here. Congrats on the successful days! :D

Barbara L said...

I double dog dare you to share this one on FB! ROFL! But seriously, where did she get the Batman ones? I haven't ever seen the grown up ones.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I'd take the interest on Bruce Wayne's money :)

ericdbolton said...

I heard Batman actually wears Seattle Dad themed underwear..

WillBinMN said...

Last year my 4yo gave me some Batman underwear, but mine are briefs. Yep. They are awesome!! :) Wear them proud!

twistedxtian said...

These stories give me hope that one day I will successfully potty train my son. :)

SciFi Dad said...

I'm just thankful the dry underwear post and the being an older dad post were unrelated.

Mrs. LIAYF said...

We got the grown up Batman underwear at Target - near the pygamas. Unfortunately, they had no Batgirl underwear for mom. :(

FilmFather said...

Holy like-father-like-son, Batman! That story is equal parts cute and awesome.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Lady Mama said...

Hahaha, love the underwear - now I know what to get for my husband for his birthday! ;) Well done to your son for being dry for a week - quite an achievement!

Gary@Baby shoes said...

I was going to buy a pair of Batman pants myself but, changed my mind when I realised that they don't come with a special pocket for you to keep your can of shark repellent. With such an oversight I don't think they can have been official merchandise!

Captain Dumbass said...

Win-win for father and son! I'm totally jealous of your underwear... which now looks really creepy when it's written out.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Backpacking Dad - Not so much I bet.

@Aggy - Thanks! And good luck to you guys as well.

@Barbara - Ummmmm....No, not going to happen. :)

@PJ - We could even split it.

@Eric - They have a potato head on them.

@Will - As I said - secret society.

@Twisted - It's a long haul. Good luck.

@Scifi - Not as thankful as I am.

@Mrs. LIAYF - Not as disappointed as I am!

@FilmFather - Thanks Man.

@Maria - Thank you. Glad you could stop by.

@LadyMama - He could be part of our secret society. (see above)

@Gary - Ha. Yes, probably knock offs. But wait...Wouldn't shark repellant be for AquaMan?? Thanks for stopping by.

@Captain - Nah. Ok, maybe a teensy bit.

Douglas said...

The backwards underwear part cracked me up...my oldest did the same thing for a while.

MamaMidwife said...

I am really happy to hear that my son is not the only one who liked to wear his undies backwards at that age. He is now 11 and does wear them correctly. ;)

You said skivies.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Douglas - Not sure why they don't just put the characters on the front.

@Mama - So there's hope? That's good to hear. Skivies is one of my favorite words.