Tuesday, October 18, 2011

4-Year-Old Mind Tricks

Happy Tuesday readers.  Do you know what I LOVE about being a dad?  Well yes, most of it so far has been pretty terrific, but what I am actually referring to *this* time are those little moments, or things your kid does which take you by complete surprise and make you laugh out loud.

I had one of those moments last night.

Mrs. LIAYF, Lukas, and I were heading upstairs to start his bedtime routine when he decided that he wasn't quite ready to give up playing the game of 'Hide and Seek' we had earlier been engaged in.  So, laughing, he ran into his bedroom and hid himself from yours truly. 

Right under his covers.

As I walked in and saw the squirming pile of covers, I called out "Where's Lukas? I can't believe he just disappeared! "  At that point there was an audible giggle from underneath the pile.  "What was that?"  I said in a raised voice.  "Is something under here?". 

Then, I slowly raised the comforter from his bed to reveal a smiling little boy.  But, before I could say anything like "Found you!" his arm extended towards me and gave a slight wave, before speaking to me in a serious tone through his grin.

He said "This is not the Droid you are looking for."



After letting out a quick laugh, I composed myself for my response.  "No, this is not the Droid I am looking for" I said with a blank stare, before dropping the covers back over him, turning, and walking out of the room.

I thought that was quite an ingeneous trick, since we hadn't read his Star Wars book in quite some time.  And I was still ginning about it when I sat down to write this post.

Spontaneous, funny moments like this one with Lukas happen often around here, and are just another reason I LOVE being a dad.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah!! That's awesome. The force is strong in this one.

christopher (@twistedxtian) said...

That's awesome! He'll be a good little Jedi.

Slamdunk said...

Great story. You have trained him well.

Dork Dad said...

You mentioned you hadn't read his "Star Wars Book" in a while. I'd love to know what book that is (faithful enough to the movie to reference "These aren't the droids you're looking for) so I can start reading it with my 3-year-old.

Dadvsspawn said...

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good book at your side.

Having girls, I am taking a side approach of making many many quotes, so by the time they watch the films they will recognize every line, albeit in random order.

Bruce Sallan said...

Be sure you note all these great memories! A log, a diary, not just the web!

BloggerFather said...

The master, the student has become.

Daddy's in Charge? said...

Clearly you are not as strong minded as your son.

danielpelfrey said...

Strong in the ways of parenthood you are... yes!

or, in the words of Bill S. Preston, ESQ. - "Most excellent!"

Jack said...

I love that. Can't agree more about how fun this is.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@CLM - Yes, it is. I'm just glad he is using the force for good.

@Christopher - Yes, for Halloween too.

@Slamdunk - This is essential training too.

@Dork Dad - He has a couple which he really likes. Lego Star Wars the book, and The Lego Star Wars visual dictionary.

@DadvsSpawn - I like the subtle approach. They will be familiar without knowing it when they get to finally watch. Nice.

@Bruce - Do tweets count?

@BloggerFather - It didn't take him long either.

@Daddy's in Charge - Clearly. My mind wand.....beer.....what was I saying again?

@Daniel - Ha. Thanks for the Most Excellent! comment.

@Jack - Thanks. Who are those who don't enjoy this?

Diplo_Daddy said...

How cool! Yes, children do same the funniest things when we least expect it. Just wait until he's a little older. The jokes get better!

Kevin said...

Love it!

Granitesonline said...

Wow that was an awesome presentation. You have a great writing style. Cheers you have a blog follower.
Keep Posting

Rachael said...

Your kid is awesome.

FilmFather said...

Seattle Dad...has taught him well.


New review at FilmFather: The Black Cat
Follow me on Twitter

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.