Thursday, March 18, 2010

Storm Troopers


I am currently dealing with somewhat of a perfect storm of stress. In short, I'm stressed out at work, my wife is stressed out at work, we are experiencing uncomfortable stress between friends, and are also dealing with stress stemming from financial issues with a third party.

And, I am not exaggerating about any of these separate incidents. Each, in and of itself, would have served as a notable and unprecedented amount of stress in our lives just a few months ago.

But now, at this very moment, these stresses are all coming together and intersecting at the crossroads that make up our lives. It must show too, since I have had several co-workers approach me to inquire about how I am doing in the midst of what they see as my work related stress. They know not of the other added factors.

This will all pass soon enough, it always does. Life will return to normal and we will all be fine. But in the mean time it makes it difficult to see the joy in everyday events.

So, when amidst all of these competing forces - when attempting to solve a complex work problem while standing at my laptop in my kitchen, because I first need it solved to move on to the next in a string of challenges which will need to be solved this night - I get a tug on my pant leg and a raspy little voice implores to me: "Daddy, can we catch some football?"

Well, you might not fully grasp what a stress reliever it is to put aside your work and personal concerns for a short time to oblige. To smile, and to lose yourself in the moment.

It shields you from the severe weather afoot. Like opening a bumbershoot in a driving rain storm.

Perfect.
-
Photo from thrig via flickr creative commons attribution license.

14 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

No, I'm not just commenting because of the image.

Great post. I'm finding myself struggling with stress right now (although not as plentiful as yours, by the sounds of it). It manifests itself as a headache (exacerbated by sinus pressure... thanks for nothing spring) that renders me almost useless when it comes to the kids. I try to do stuff with them, but ultimately feel like a failure because I can't take them outside and let them run around the yard or whatever.

Mrs. M said...

It is so nice when our little ones can put some moments of joy and bliss in our lives so we can forget the stress. If only for a little bit.

Anonymous said...

I find it real cool that your blog is quite literally almost always in line with being a dad. I have too short an attention span to write about fatherhood ALL the time. While it is one of my favorite things in the world... I can't think about writing something about it all the time. Good job brother.

Captain Dumbass said...

Well said, James.


*Written on a table covered in Storm Troopers.

Unknown said...

It's always a bit jarring when people come up and ask and you realize, damn, is it that obvious? Soldier on, man.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Sometimes kids are going top be the death of us and sometimes...like this time...they are our saving grace!

OneZenMom said...

Good on you for recognizing those moments of haven.

I am in the midst of some pretty extreme work stress right now, as well. "Home" - meaning my husband and kids - has become, even more than it's ever been, my peaceful haven. My thankful place.

When my work day has pushed me to my emotional and physical limits, I find that rolling around on the floor with kids is an excellent stress-reliever.

And a reminder of exactly WHY I put up with all of that stress. Because, in the end, it's all for them. Somehow, remembering that makes my load just a little bit lighter.

Wishing you all the best!

Chris Singer said...

I definitely agree and relate with that. Nice job man!

Lady Mama said...

Ugh, I hate when stress comes at you from different directions. At least it will pass. And yes, absolutely, finding moments to escape from it all is vital!

Anonymous said...

I hope your various stressors pass quickly for you.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Hope all the stress passes quickly for you and your family, but meantime it does indeed sound like you've found the perfect stress reliever!

Steve said...

Many days the stress of work falls away as I walk through the door to my home. But even when other aspects of life are tough it is very hard to remain entirely down when my daughter determinedly leads me by the hand for a tea party.

Hope you soon ride out your perfect storm.

Eric said...

Stress is all over us too...

financially.. emotionally... professionally...
it never seems to end.

Hang in there brother!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Scifi - That sounds awful. Sorry to hear. Stress, in any form is such a destructive force.

@Mighty M - Absolutely. Thanks.

@handstowar - Sometimes it is a good thing and sometimes it probably turns people off. Thanks.

@Captain - That table sounds cool.

@TheHolmes - Thanks man. Yes, when it becomes obvious you know it has become an issue.

@Shelle - Yes, so true. Thanks for the comment.

@Zenmom - Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment. It is such a great thing to be able to come home from that stress and leave it at work. Unfortunately, we have non work stresses factoring in as well.

@Chris - Thanks man.

@Lady Mama - Yes, multiple directions can be the worst of all. Thankfully, it will pass and I can compartmentalize as much as I can.

@Pj - Thanks, man.

@If I Could Escape - yes, a fun loving child does certainly help immensly.

@Steve - Thanks man. No tea party, but thankfully football is just as fun.

@Eric - Thanks. You hang in there as well.