Thursday, May 20, 2010

The City I live in...

Inspired by a recent post by Matt over at DC Urban Dad - about 5 random things he loves about his city - I have decided to create my own list of 5 things that I love about my city: Seattle.

It's certainly not a comprehensive list, but here goes:

1. The Coffee - Maybe I'm a caffeine junkie because I live in the Northwest, or perhaps it it just because I don't get enough sleep, but whatever the reason I live in the what can be argued is the coffee capital of the world. Seattle is the birthplace of coffee giants Starbucks, Tully's, and the aptly named Seattle's Best Coffee and there are plenty of these coffee shops littered thoughout the city. But beyond that there are also multitudes of other smaller coffee roasters, shops, and drive through stands which will serve you a world class cup of Joe made the way you want it.

2. The Music Scene - Seattle is best known musically for being the birthplace of Grunge, and many of bigger bands such as Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Alice in Chains, and (once again Soundgarden) are still going strong today. But Seattle still has one of the best and most diverse music scenes in the country, producing a slew of recent big name acts such as Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, and Death Cab for Cutie. Plus there are literally thousands of other quality bands and musicians here, many playing free venues around the city. You never have to go far to hear great music.

3. The Natural Beauty - Surrounded by the Olympic Mountains to the West, the Cascade range to the East, and Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands to the North, living in Seattle means that we are never more than a short drive away from exploring nature in some of it's most spectacular manifestations.

4. The Words - In short, Seattle is the most literate city in America. We do a lot of sitting with a hot cup of coffee and reading out here. I love that this level of literacy shows in the daily conversations I have with the people in my neighborhood.

5. The Weather - People talk a lot about how it rains a lot in Seattle. True, it does, but I have to tell you that it's not that bad. The temperatures are mild, the humidity is low, and when the sun comes out there is nowhere on earth where I would rather live.

So there you have it, 5 things about my city that I love. What about you? What do you love about Seattle, or about where you live?

I would love to hear from you.

10 comments:

Whit said...

Yes on all accounts! This place rules.

Dad is in the House said...

Heh - I know you're into the bikini baristas, don't deny it :)

I married into the whole Puget Sound thing. I met my wife in Utah and we moved back here from DC 1.5 years ago or so. I'm very much getting used to it. The rain/darkness can get to you but I've also found I've gotten used to it more than I thought possible. I LOVE that it doesn't get hot except rarely, and when it does it's not humid. I would put the scenery at #1, though. It is really, really beautiful here--the documentary kind of beautiful.

Mrs. M said...

Agreed. And the shopping is pretty good too. :)

Juli said...

My favorite thing about Plymouth MA? It's "America's Hometown". Complete with PLymouth Rock, pilgrims and "Indians", and more history than I can ever learn. Every fourth of July the parade runs through downtown lead by our oldest resident (born and raised in the same home). Mr Talcott is around 98 now, and still makes the front page of the town's paper when he leads the parade. I love this "5 things" idea, hope it's OK, I'm stealing it for my next post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out man. Never been to Seattle. But it is on my list.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to visit Seattle. I want to go to Salumi.

Idaho Dad said...

I don't like urban environments at all. But Seattle is okay by me when we visit. Your traffic makes me crazy, tho.

As for my town, I love the mountains and lakes and bike trails. Mostly, I love the fact that I have an endless number of places to easily go to get away from people.

SciFi Dad said...

I have friends who live out there and say the same things you do. I'd love to visit Seattle sometime.

As for where we live? Meh... I'm not a fan, but the wife doesn't want to move far, far away from family (yet).

Keith Wilcox said...

I agree. Seattle is one of the areas in the country I love the most. I grew up in Southern California, and I love it. I also love Texas and Colorado. But, I'm in complete agreement. Some day I'm going to move to the pacific northwest. You guys have everything up there. Clean air, lots of greenery, culture, temperate weather, literate people (like you say). Yup.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Milton Bradley...