Monday, August 4, 2008

Personally, I don't See it.

It happened again just the other day. I was walking into a rest room and some guy stops me with a strange smile on his face and proclaims. "You know, you look a lot like Sean Hannity". When I just smiled politely and headed for the nearest urinal to go about my business, he followed up with "You know who that is don't you? I'm a big fan." I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment or not, but given his demeanor (even though coming at an inappropriate time), I could tell that this guy was not weird and most likely fairly harmless.

"Isn't he a news guy?" I asked (I had a vague idea that this Hannity guy was on cable news, and from what I remembered it he was teamed up with another guy on Fox News. I never remembered which one was Hannity, but I did remember that one of them was fairly goofy looking, so I was hoping it wasn't that one!) "Yeah, he now has his own show now" he continued. Ok, that confirmed what I had thought. My memories were clearing a bit and I now remembered that the two guys on on the show were on opposite sides of the political fence, (me thinking...so if this Hannity guy now has his own show it's probably on FOX, and if so, chances are he is a right wing proselytizer. Great, I look like some right wing proselytizer. Just what I need.) "I have an active toddler and no television, so am not familiar with his recent work." was my reply. "But thanks. I guess."


Sean Hannity

(hmmmm.......not seeing it)

It was not the first and probably won't be the last time I have been stopped on the street (or restroom, elevator, beer line) to be told that I have a strong similarity to someone on the screen, or in the news. Actually, it happens to me with non famous people as well. Someone will ask we often if they know me from somewhere. I guess I have the face of the average guy. As for famous folk, here are a couple of other actors that I have been told more than once that I resembled:


Matthew Perry


(This one happened all the time while 'Friends" was airing)

Chris O'Donnell


(Heard this one a few times as well, during his 'Robin' days.)
-
Famous Anonymous Blogger

(People approach me on the street all the time to say I look like this guy.)
.
Perhaps if this Hannity guy ever decides to run for office or happens to become more important than he currently is, I can parlay my supposed look-a-like status into a new career. I could at least do the convention circuit, and if he really gets popular I may even get some screen time playing the buffoon version of him, kind of like the Bush look-a-like gets to do. (Wait, he probably plays the straight version come to think of it!)

Unfortunately, that would also mean that this Right leaning guy would be gaining prominence and I would be benefiting. I guess that is not in the cards for me after all. Easy come, easy go.
-
What about you? Come clean! Who are some famous people strangers have stopped you and told you you looked like?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get hit with "The Karate Kid" or "Ferris Bueller" all the time.

Jason Roth said...

I see the resemblance. You should parlay that into free meals at restaurants, if it'll work. You can do the "do you know who I am?" thing.

Ed (zoesdad) said...

The resemblance only works if you've got a good impression.


Me? Nobody looks like me.

Martin said...

I've had a few British/Irish actors thrown at me, but utterly unheard of.

Seems I'm a cross between Dennis Rickman and Nathan Lane...

BusyDad said...

No one here ever says that I look like anyone, especially since the the only choices known to the public here are Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. Drat. But when I went to China, I had a whole slew of "you look like so and so" thrown at me. Too bad I had no idea who these celebrities were. Hopefully they were badasses or extremely good looking.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@MTAE - I've got 4 words for you -Do the Crane, MTAE!

@VegasDad - That wouldn't fly to well in this city. Perhaps next time I'm in your neck of the woods (or sand).

@Ed - It's great to be one of a kind. I would need to watch his show to get the impression down pat, and with no TV, not happening.

@Xbox - I love Nathan lane, that guy is hilarious. Not as familiar with Rickman though.

@BusyDad - If you ever move to China, you have a guaranteed in then! Or when they take over the world, of course.

Anonymous said...

Haha, it is funny the people others see in us.

I always get people thinking they know me from somewhere or I look like some friend of theirs or something.

Famous people cracks me up and I so don't see it: Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction; Ellen Barkin (yeah whatever); and Cameron Diaz (I am a brunette FGS!)

James (SeattleDad) said...

tw - At least your famous look-a-likes are all good looking. Sean Hannity is pretty goofy looking to me. That must mean that some people think I look like this goofy guy. Just sayin' . . .

p.s. My wife thinks I look like most like Robin (O'Donnell). I just hope she doesn't ask me to wear red tights.

Darren said...

A few months ago--maybe even a year ago--I did a post where I found some website where you could upload your picture and it told you who you looked like based on face shape and characteristics. I think I got Jude Law, but I hear Martin Short more often (talk about goofy looking).

Knatolee said...

Okay, I have to admit, whoever the hell Sean Hannity is, I see the resemblance! And a little bit o' Chris.