Friday, August 20, 2010

You Shouldn't Mosh Past 40

Man, I'm soooore today. True, at nearly 43 years of age I am sore most days, but especially so today. I just took 3 ibuprofen, hopefully they'll kick in pronto.

It's been a while since I've done this, but I went out to a live concert last night. It was a band that we really like and they put on a pretty fun show, so we made an exception and went on a weeknight.

But I'm paying for it today.

Once there, I hung around in back for a little while. But when the show began in earnest a buddy of mine wanted us to make our way to the front of the crowd. That was where the action was. There was a whole lot of uncontrolled jumping up and down to the rhythm of the music. Naturally, bodies were packed in pretty tight and slamming into each other all over the place. It was wild.

On more than on occasion I briefly lost sight of my buddy. It reminded me of a long ago time when Mrs. LIAYF and I were first dating. It was 1996 and we went to see a Pearl Jam show at Memorial stadium here in Seattle.

That was before we had cell phones and we were packed in tighter than sardines about 20 yards from the stage, swaying back and forth. With a big smile she turned to me and said "I'm going up!" And with that she was hoisted into the air and off she went surfing through the crowd on her back. I just sat their in disbelief, sure I wouldn't see her again the rest of the night. About 20 minutes later, exhilarated, she tapped me on the shoulder from behind. I kept her close by after that.

Last night I half expected my buddy to come surfing by just like my wife had done so many years before, but thankfully none of that happened. Neither one of us are anywhere close to our 20's after all.

I was up and down quite a bit though. I did a lot of squatting so that I wouldn't block the view of the gathered crowd behind. Let me tell you, that's hard on 40 year old knees.

Then, after about an hour or so Caspar Babypants (aka Chris Ballew from The Presidents of the United States of America) finally wrapped up his set of kid tunes. It was the perfect time for me to grab my wired up little buddy and head back to find his Mom, who was relaxing on a picnic blanket somewhere back in the crowd.

Yep, I'm definitely too old for this.

This post brought to you in conjunction with Fatherhood Friday over at Dad Blogs. Click on over and check out all the great parenting related post.

13 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Glad you managed to escape relatively unscathed! :)

Otter Thomas said...

Glad you lived. I would go through any mosh pit for Pearl Jam, but not for the Presidents I am afraid.

AlanTK said...

Thanks for sharing. Couldn't have posted at a better time. Wife and I have a date tonight. For a live show. Band is a little more sway pit than mosh, but a valuable warning.

Didactic Pirate said...

Dude, you still clearly ROCK IT, even if your knees don't.

Anonymous said...

Dude you so rocked it out!

Keith Wilcox said...

HAHA! Man, I haven't been to a concert since college. I'm afraid I'd get thrown out for being the ultimate party pooper. "Turn the Volume down! What? you wanna go deaf!?" I once saw a TV show that featured the guy from The Presidents of the United States of America. Impressed that he turned to some kiddie music.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Mighty M - Yeah, It was brutal out there. lol.

@Otter - But what about Babypants? Would you do it for your kid?

@AlanTK - You need to go to a kids concert to get the real moshing action. Hope you had fun.

@Didactic Pirate - I'm a rocker, and a dad. So I make the sacrifice.

@DC - I did bump into several other parents who were chasing around their kids too. Parent moshing.

@Keith - Yes, and he does it pretty well too. I just received a review copy of his latest, due out on Nov 2nd. It is great. Watch for a future giveaway here.

Stefan Lanfer said...

Great post! Though one latte and drizzly rain short of confirming all the Seattle stereotypes

Slamdunk said...

The kidtunes set can be a tougher crowd than anything. Glad you survived and lived to tell the story.

Slamdunk said...

The kidtunes set can be a tougher crowd than anything. Glad you survived and lived to tell the story.

Anonymous said...

A toddler mosh pit, now that was a Kodak moment.

Beta Dad said...

I had no idea that the POTUSA guy had a kid music band. That's so cool. I'll add it to my Pandora kid station.

The last time I was in a mosh pit was when I saw Iggy Pop at some festival about ten years ago (I'm also 43). I got head-butted right in the face by some jarhead, and went down like a ton of bricks. That's when I was like, "I'm too old for this shit." I guess I better dust off the ol' Doc Martens for the kid rock shows though.

BTW, my wife and I met at a Mudhoney show in 1991.

Portland Dad said...

The bands change, the lyrics get a little more silly, and the crowd gets somehow older and younger but you still get out there and rock it. Well done