Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Blogger by Any Other Name

I was amazed the other day when I looked at the calendar. Did you all know it was 2009?? Yeah, me either. Wasn't it just the other day that the year 2000 seemed so futuristic and far off?

And, to celebrate it being 2009, I decided to shuffle my mental to do list so that I could actually catch up with those of you who have not (like me) been planted firmly in the year 2005. That would be the year before Twitter was created.

Yes, I have now joined the throngs of people living the Tweet Life. DingDingDing! You are correct. I did just make that up. How'd you know??


Anyway, the first thing I needed to do when setting up my Twitter account was to choose a user name. To my surprise James was taken. What's with that? I was stumped. LukeIamYourFather seemed too long. I'm pretty sure no one would send me messages if they had to type that each time.

So I thought hard. What would best describe me right now? It didn't take long to decide to go with something with the word Dad in it. But what?

Maybe I could go with a mood. Mellowdad? Or a personality trait. DeadpanDad? Perhaps an age related moniker. OldDad or even OldNewDad?

Then again, I thought it better to just stick with a 'place' related name. Something close to home. I thought about going regional with NWDad. But that didn't seem to nail it quite right.

I needed to get even closer to home. I asked myself, "What defines Seattle?" Well, we have Ferries. Ok, not that there is anything wrong with it, but I wasn't going with FerryDad. No, I needed something even more Seattle than the Ferries. Let's see. . . .what defines Seattle? Grunge. Microsoft. Starbucks. Losing Sports teams.

It was all to much to ponder, so I simply settled on SeattleDad. Let me know what you think? Look for me to start using this moniker elsewhere as well. And, if this post hasn't discouraged you from it completely, you can always follow me as SeattleDad on Twitter.

I'll look forward to seeing you there.

15 comments:

Dan said...

I gave up on twitter a month or so ago, I didn't have the stamina to keep up.

I didn't realize you were in seattle. It seems to be the in-place for daddy bloggers at the moment (well, down with pants and shortly Whit anyhow)

SciFi Dad said...

Something was wrong with LIAYF (the abbreviation)? Or LukesDad?

Sorry... I've just come to associate you with the Luke/Lukas tie-in.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Dan - Wanna come? We are starting a commune.

@Scifi - Yes, Lukesdad was already taken. I forgot to mention that in the post. And LIAYF just doesn't roll off the tounge like I would like.

Martin said...

Twitter bemuses me.

He's so pink in that picture,funny.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Xbox - Yeah, and so small too. Twitter has been interesting so far. My key will be moderation.

Jason Roth said...

Welcome to Twitterland. It's like crack, so try not to get addicted.

Whit said...

Twitter is a gateway drug.

DCUrbanDad said...

My addiction ebbs and flows.

Welcome to the pad. Be sure not to share needles.

Steve said...

I can't bring myself to twitter.

I have thought about setting up one on behalf of each of my kids, as they do so many things that make me smile which I never get round to blogging.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Vegasdad - Moderation is my key. Now I just have to abide by it.

@Whit - Gateway to what, exactly??

@DC - Thanks. I don't have a phone to use, so I will be limited to my small web time.

@Steve - Getting the kids to do the work for you? Don't they have child labor laws across the pond?

Super Mega Dad said...

I kinda like GrungeDad, but like SciFi, I'm used to your liayf, so seeing SeattleDad was kinda like "Who's that?". Adding your pic to your twitter account helped to place name with face though. ;)

NYCity Mama said...

Welcome to twitter! LOL! Glad you didn't go with FerryDad...lol! I am following you now : )

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Super Mega Dad - I kinda like Grungedad too, but thought it was a bit too stuck in the 90's. Glad you figured it out.

@NYCity Mama - Thanks for stopping by. See you over there.

Brandon said...

I still can't believe that SeattleDad was available. Seems like one of the simplest names that would've gone long ago.

I like Twitter, though it can get out of hand and it's definitely hurt my blogging.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Brandon - I was surprised it was available too. And I can totally see how twitter could get addictive and take away from blogging. I need to try to avoid that.