Thursday, October 1, 2009

We Have an F-ing Issue

I was pretty amazed yesterday afternoon while picking up Lukas from daycare when, as I walked through the door, our son's best little friend declared something to the effect of "It's Lukas' daddy, come to take him home".

Now, Lukas has a lot of word and strings them together into pretty complex sentences for a 27 month old, but his friend, who I have never heard say more than a word or two at a time (as opposed to Lukas' constant dialog), said this sentence with such clarity that I had to do a double take. He sounded like he was 5 years old. Very impressive.

At home later that night I relayed this revelation to Mrs. LIAYF, who had heard the boy say something very similar a couple days earlier. She was equally impressed. Then, as we listened to Lukas, it dawned on me (since I hadn't really thought twice about it) that, like a lot of kids his age, has trouble with his F's. He was replacing them with B's. Henceforth, a fox becomes a box in Lukas toddler speak.

This is very cute, but realizing that he may need some assistance getting his enunciation of F correct, Mrs. LIAYF decided to try a little experiment with him as we were getting him ready for bed:

"Lukas, can you say flower?"

"Bower"

"No, say Fffflower"

"Bower"

"Can you say, friend?

"Briend, Mommy"

"No, friend with an F. Ffff-riend"

"Briend"

"Hmmm, Lukas can you say F?"

"Eff"

"Exactly! Now say F-friend"

"Eff briend"

"No, F like in father. F-father. Can you say that?"

"Eff Bother" (I'm not reading anything into that)

"F-F-F-father"

"Bother"

"Lukas, you are just adorable! And perfect in every way. Ready for bed Sweetie?"

"Yeah"

18 comments:

A Free Man said...

This stage is good fun, isn't it? My boy has trouble with L's, tends to leave them silent. So, "clock" becomes...

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Awwwww, give him time!

My middle son had a "lithp" that we thought would never go away, but as soon as he turned 3 it disappeared. My youngest one has problems with the letter "L" replacing it with "W." For now, I'm just going to enjoy how cute it sounds!! Check back with me in 6 months though!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

P.S. There's an award for you over on my blog!!

SciFi Dad said...

He'll figure it out soon enough, and then you'll miss being a bother.

ericdbolton said...

My nearly 4 year old daughter has a wonderful vocabulary. We just realized that words that start "L" come out with "W".. We're not overly concerned, but we will take steps to help her correct it.

My main suggestion is to not talk like that back to him. Yeah it can be cute, but it can also be detrimental. My niece can not say her "G"s and replaces them with "D"s.. And the "ch"s with "t"s.. So a girl is a "dirl" and a chair is a "tair". But her mother, her aunts and everyone on that side of the family talks to her like that. So she doesn't know any different.

Lady Mama said...

It's kind of cute though isn't it. My son pronounces his "L" as "Y" (yemon) and his "th" as "D" "dere it is). I'm not worrying about it yet.

Martin said...

I say you should all just use his words.

Make a new language.

English has been butchered anyway.

Kori said...

Just wait until Xbox's baby arrives; he'll be singing a different tune, no?

with Owen, he has slowly grown out of most of his vocab mishaps naturally. Like, yesterday morning toys were "poys," but last night night they were TOYS. Go fogure. I think we can worry ourselves into a frenzy if we allow ourselves to. Of my four, only one has ever needed any kind of additional help at school, the others havve all just grown out of it.

Anonymous said...

My son has been doing the same thing with words the start with S. A spoon is boom.

Steve said...

Like Eric's duaghter (above), despite issuing forth a near unstoppable torrent of speech, my son still sounds his L's as W's. Even though he's just turned four, recent advice has been that it's still a bit early to decide it's necessary to intervene. So I'd enjoy the cuteness while you can (without joining in of course).

Fannie said...

Hahaha, that's very cute, he sounds adorable :)

Chris Mancini said...

I think all kids pick a letter or sound to deliberately mispronounce to see if we're paying attention. Our daughter replaces "TH" with "F"

Irrational Dad said...

I love it!!! I can't believe I'm over here stressing that Tyler says "yeah" instead of "yes".

I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Eric said...

He just really likes the letter B! :)

Dagmar said...

Love it! LOL! My son Landon has problems with L's, what do you know :) He uses a J instead. So Landon is Jandon for now. But that's all right with us :)

Dagmar
Dagmar's momsense
http://DagmarBleasdale

Not From Lapland said...

my 3 year old has a same age friend that can spell. it's disconcerting. Lukas will get there in the end, in the mean time, aww, how cute.

WeaselMomma said...

It's bad enough that the kid calls you a bother, but and effing bother? Where is he picking up this stuff? (When he is eavesdropping on mommy's phone calls with her BFF).

Dad Who Writes said...

Our little elf (2) is the same except she tends to elude all first consonants that aren't 'B'. A bit like Eliza Doolittle. If Eliza Doolittle were a Kalahari Bushman.