Friday, November 6, 2009

The Hardy Boys

The promise came from Mrs. LIAYF. It was more of a bribe really.
-
"Lukas, eat all of your dinner and I'll give you a surprise". "I want a tattoo!" was his reply. Fair enough. It was a deal.

And at that, the remainder of our 2-year-olds Friday night pizza was devoured without delay, followed by his mother bringing over a basket, filled with skin art booklets toddler dreams are made of. Sharks, Pirates, Trucks, and Firemen to name a few.

Sticking with his recent fascination, Lukas chose a large firetruck to adorn his forearm. A wet washcloth and 30 seconds later and he was grinning from ear to ear. Then, apparently wanting to share his new found happiness with his old man, he declared "Daddy needs one too!"

Not wanting to disappoint our little guy, I agreed to get my very own 'Tat' . I was very excited since, truth be told in my 42 years I have never made the commitment to get a tattoo. I have toyed with the idea of getting some cool symbol which fostered my individuality, but the time just never seemed right. I had resigned myself to the reality that my opportunity had passed.
-
But now I had lost myself in the revelry of the moment, visualizing what tattoo I would get to complete the father/son bonding ritual we were about the share. Perhaps a Sun for my calf, or Da Vinci's Man in Balance on my shoulder, or even a string of barbed wire abound by bicep. I would definitely be increasing my cool factor immensely.

"Dat one" Lukas then called out, startling me out of my daydream and preempting my very own choice. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I had no say in the matter. And so it was.

I'm guessing I won't be taking the extra effort to roll up my sleeves and show off my 'Gun' adorned with this Tat...


But at least we compliment each other. And what chic doesn't dig a guy with a Dalmatian?

22 comments:

Playstead said...

It might be edgier to not have one these days.

The dalmatian is tough, but I was hoping for an anchor ... or at least a WSU logo.

Dan said...

You are one cool mutha!

I wish Kerry would let me get a tat like yours.

Mrs. M said...

Speaking of WSU logo's my husband has a nice big Cougar head on his arm!

And the only thing wrong with your tattoo is it should be much much bigger! ;-) Wear it with pride. :)

Steve said...

Nice - sometimes you just have to give in and do what they want! Also, there is nothing quite like the bribe for getting the food down at dinner time. Nice job!

Kisha said...

Making your kid happy is way cooler than some lame tribal arm band anyway:) Great post!

OneZenMom said...

Adorable. Er, um, zi mean, wow, how manly! ;)

Raging Dad said...

Heh, that's a great post!

McMommy said...

And a dalmatian with a BANDANNA around his neck, no less!
You guys are hard core, I tell you. :)

Lady Mama said...

Haha! Dalmation! What a great idea though - I love the fire engine. I must get some of those for my toddler.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty sweet. You could take this incentive national - Tats for Tots.

ericdbolton said...

All you need now are some choppers..

Captain Dumbass said...

I think you got gipped. The fire truck is way cooler.

DGB said...

Hopefully you won't regret that decision when you get older.

SciFi Dad said...

If nothing else, you could always claim you got drunk and got it.

Irrational Dad said...

I have five tattoos. One that I REALLY regret, and four that I kinda regret. Count yourself lucky that you were never cool enough to get one.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Very macho!!

Surfer Jay said...

Dude, you've got a wicked farmers tan going.... Nicccce.

Anonymous said...

If you start with one tattoo... you'll end up with 18 like me. I must say... that is a rippling "gun" you have there. You got those tickets?... to the gun show...

Lame joke I know.

Nice site man... just found you as I'm searching for like minded daddy types like myself.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@playstead - Wouldn't be a good idea to take sides around these parts. No UW of WSU tats.

@Dan - You have to put it in a place she won't see it. Wherever that may be.

@Mighty M - Just makes my gun look bigger.

@Steve - Bribes are big here

@Kisha - Oh, he was certainly happy. Thanks.

@Zenmom - Manly, yes. What I was going for there.

@Raging Dad - Thanks Man.

@McMommy - Without the Bandana it just wouldn't be cool.

@Lady Mama - You're just jumping on the bandwagon.

@PJ - I like that idea.

@Bolton - Yes, I do.

@Captain - I am way down on the cool ladder in this house.

@Daddy Geek Boy - Already regretting it. Fading so much.

@Scifi - I was drunk on happiness...ok I almost said that with a straight face.

@Joe - Alas, I have nothing to regret. And no stories to tell either.

@Karen - isn't it though?

@Jay - Almost as much as when I was actually a farmer.

@Ed - Mickey may be next. Hidden Mickey...

@handstowar - The tickets to this show went long ago...

I see your lame and raise you another.

Thanks for stopping by.

A Free Man said...

Nice. Though the boy's is a bit more butch.

Anonymous said...

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Margaret[/url]

Not From Lapland said...

Awesome tat. the chicks'll dig it for sure.