Monday, November 30, 2009

New Directions

Today was a day which both epitomized and cemented the tidal wave of change that has been slowly building force and is now sweeping through our family.

It was a day in which Mrs. LIAYF voluntarily left behind the tensions and palpable stress of the corporate world to return to her roots. To return to that which she was doing when we first met, a time when she was truly excited to get up in the morning and leave for work.

And as the clock struck 3:00 today, she was officially another step closer to realizing this dream. It will come to pass in a little over a months time. In the new year she will open a green focused, eco-friendly daycare and preschool. Among other things, she will be offering cloth diapers, organic food and a program that focuses on compassion for others and community involvement. All things we had trouble finding when we were looking for a daycare. It is a venture that speaks to the heart of who she is. And I am extremely proud of the sacrifice and hard work she continues to put into this project. She is a lovely woman who will put her heart and soul into this business.
-

(Reading nook figures to be well used by Lukas)

Understandably, the response has been overwhelming and all positive. That helps since a career change coupled with starting a small business is a hugely draining proposition in both time and resources. Sleep has been at a premium over the past several months. Personal time? Nearly non-existent. But we have all persevered and now see the light at the end of the tunnel. The fruition of a lot of hard work is upon us.

This will also mean that Lukas will be able to a part of this program and therefore get to spend more time with his lovely mother. And, as a result, today was also Lukas' last day at his daycare center. It has been a good spot for him over the past two years, and he has made friends of many of the playmates who are also in his toddler room - he has in fact grown up with several of them. This does make me a bit melancholy about the whole transition as he certainly doesn't grasp the meaning of what has transpired. As far as he knows, he will see his friends again sometime soon. And that weighs more than a bit on my heart.

I will also miss the times we spend together driving to and from his daycare. Though just an hour a day, it was an hour of father/son bonding time. Time where we could discuss the world around us. I enjoyed this time immensely.

However, I don't want to let these melancholy thoughts pervade the happier ones that are also present about the new and exciting direction our family is turning. This is a time of great change. A time of new beginning and old loves. And we are all extremely excited.

But most of all I am excited about the prospect of a good night's sleep.

24 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

This is just all kinds of awesome. I'm very happy for you and your family!

Rob said...

This is so incredibly cool, James. Congratulations to all of you!

I'm excited for all of you, and look forward to hearing more about the adventure!

korin said...

wow!! that is so exciting! Give mrs. liayf my happy regards and best of luck!!

Dan said...

Sounds fantastic!

Good luck guys!

SciFi Dad said...

Congratulations, LIAYM! That is a very exciting prospect. I'm sure you will succeed.

As for Jimbo (you don't like James? I can make James preferable), you'll find a new routine. Trust me.

Anonymous said...

Congrats man. There's nothing better than havin' mama home with your kiddo

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is incredibly cool for your wife and little man. I totally get what you're feeling about the change you'll have, but you'll find a new routine to share with your son soon enough.

Being us... said...

WOW! That just sounds awesome! I would love to have something like this for Jacob. Good luck to Mrs. LIAYF!!!

Ed said...

All kinds of cool, man! Anxious to hear how it all evolves.

ericdbolton said...

That's pretty dang cool. If she wants to franchise over in San Antonio let me know..

Martin said...

Wow, brilliant.

Best of luck!

Jamie K said...

Congratulations and best of luck in the new endeavor.

Are there any resources (books, cds, toys) that you need donated? I'm sure your readers (myself included) could be a good resource for gently used books and toys you that could get extra life in your new daycare. My wife is always looking to clean out stuff our kids don't use anymore.

Eric said...

hey dude
-come by my blog this evening...

You shall have an award you should come receive!

Lady Mama said...

Wow! Just wow. What a fantastic thing your wife is doing. If I lived near you guys I would be begging for a spot in your daycare - it sounds wonderful. And don't worry too much about the transition - your son will be fine, they adjust so easily at this age.

DCUrbanDad said...

Holy crap. Congratulations. The Mini-Kamp and I wish you all the best. Does this mean if I move out your way I have an open spot?

john cave osborne said...

fantastic! v proud of you and your wife. good luck! keep us posted... jco

Steve said...

Great move. Hope it all goes well.

After our first child was born my wife became a registered child-minder specifically to be able to be with our kids whilst earning some money. It has worked out well and I'm sure Mrs LIAYF is going to love it too.

Steve @ MyBoys3 said...

Congrats - that sounds exciting - hope it works out well for the whole family.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Idaho Dad - Again. Thanks so much.

@Rob - Thanks. That means a lot.

@korin - Thanks so much, I will.

@Dan - Thanks.

@Scifi Dad - Thanks. I am already working on it. But I do miss it.

@handstowar - Absolutely spot on. Thanks.

@PJ - Thanks. I don't want to lose any of that bonding I have with him. change is difficult.

@Being Us - Thank you. It is a great concept.

@Ed - From you, that makes me feel good. Thanks.

@Bolton - Coming to San Antonio in a few year. You'll more little ones by then I'm sure.

@Xbox - Franchising in Europe a few years after San Antonio

@Jaime K - Wow, what an incredibly generous thought. I will confer with Mrs. LIAYF about this. Most of the toys and supplies are second hand already. She has been accumulating things for a while now.

Eric - Thanks for the award. I haven't had time to comment, but that is cool. I appreciate it.

@Lady Mama - Thanks. That is very encouraging. The sentiment seems to be similar around here. Almost filled already.

@DC - Thanks. Guaranteed. Just hurry.

@John - Me too. Thanks.

@Steve - Thanks. So she knows what it is all about. And you are not warning us so that is a good sign.

@Steve - Thanks. We are putting our hearts into it. Especially Mrs. LIAYF. It is her second child.

A Free Man said...

Good on her. Wishing you both the best of luck.

Knatolee said...

What a fantastic idea, a green daycare! And you certainly are in the right area for that mindset (although EVERYONE should have that mindset!)

I wish you the very best of luck. I have no doubt the daycare will be immensely popular.

I think it's wonderful how supportive you are of your wife. What a nice family you three make.

WeaselMomma said...

Good luck in this new venture. It takes a lot of heart and guts to step on your own and I wish the best of luck.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@ A Free Man - Thanks. It is all coming together. Finally.

@Knatolee - Thanks so much. Comments like yours make the whole difficult transition seem easier.

@WeaselMomma - Thanks so much to you too. Our hearts and guts have littered the space over the past year.

Hollywood Farm Films said...

ongrats to your wifes new business!! What a great way to spend time with your son and work at the same time. I did the same thing when my oldest was young. I worked as a nanny and brougt her with me, before she was old enough to go to school, and when she did go to school, I went with her, teaching at her school.

This will be very gratifying, hard, but gratifying!
Congrats, you are a wonderful supportive hub!

Now go to my blog and read what my hub wrote about TIger!! It's funny and well written and I love to show him off!