Saturday, December 4, 2010

Feeling The Burn

The Rowing Macine
Long time readers are probably aware from my occasional whining as well as blabbering about my lack of will power with regards to pie, that I could stand to work out more. 

Though not seriously overweight, I am probably carrying at least 15 unnecessary pounds of weight around.  And although one would think that the simple act of carrying around extra weight in and of itself would lead to burning more calories, thus making themselves disappear like some low budget birthday party magician, apparently it doesn't work that way.

So it appears that in order to turn myself into the lean, mean, fathering machine that I will need to be to keep up with Lukas as he continues to grow and becomes bigger, stronger, and faster than before (Yes, that is a line from the 6 Million Dollar Man.  I'm not only in less than ideal shape, but old too) I am going to have to step up my game, so to speak. 

And,when I said mean I did not mean mean. Rather, I meant not so mean, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, what I will have to figure out in order to drop those excess pounds, is how to take my workouts to the next level.  Considering the workout I have already put in today, I can't quite figure out what to add to accomplish this.

So far today I have completed:

One Spinning session *
Several sets of Stair stepping **
One or two Chin ups ***
Several Push ups ****
Numerous Pull ups *****
10-15 sets of Squats ******

And, several 30 pound dead lifts *******

Sadly, even with this intense workout I am not down to my ideal fathering weight. 

Maybe I would be better off keeping this workout and instead cutting out some of the sources of calories intake.  Like pie.  And ice cream. And cookies.

And beer coffee creamer.  It would be a good place to start.

* Twirling in circles with Lukas
** Amazing how often you have to climb the stairs with a 3yo.
*** To get him to look me in the eye when I am talking to him.
**** Balance bike ride this morning.  Lots of hills.
***** 3 year olds fall a lot and need helped up.
****** Mostly picking up toys and games.
******* Do you realize how often a 3 year old asks to be picked up?

13 comments:

Dad Stuff said...

That sounds like a good mix of core exercises. Keep it up but never take pie out of the equation. Just pop a carrot now and then to cancel the pie out.

Homemaker Man said...

It's amazing how much exercising with a 3 year old can make you need a piece of pie. It's a delicious catch 22

A Free Man said...

I know! I keep thinking that the aerobic exercise involved in parenting two toddlers and a puppy would have an impact on my waist line, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. Could be all the ice cream I reward myself with...

Beta Dad said...

I'm gonna start using my twins as kettlebells. I've been running and biking a bit with them in the jogger/stroller/trailer, but it's just not keeping the baby weight off. I'm home too much, which means around food too much. No willpower whatsoever.

Keith Wilcox said...

yes, I am aware of how much 4 year olds request picking up. :-) I personally think running around with kids is the best way to lose weight. It makes me think of that episode of Friends where Phoebe (is that how you spell that) goes running and she runs like a total idiot just because that's how kids do it. They don't try to conserve energy at all! HA

Slamdunk said...

I am with you in that little ones are fantastic exercise. I also frown when we go to parks and see parents glued like slugs to the park benches--hardly moving until their kids hour of running is over.

DB Stewart said...

The 6 million dollar man rocked, didn't it?

SciFi Dad said...

Thank goodness you didn't talk about cutting bacon. THAT would force me to call the nuthouse on you.

Otter Thomas said...

Really good post. I like the thought about carrying around weight helping lose weight. It makes too much sense to not work. And you are right that keeping up with a toddler is a great work out. I don't know how my wife does it every day because she is so little. Wrestlling with Braden is a chore.

Lady Mama said...

Haha. When I read all those exercises I thought, wow. Then, wait... oh! But those are the best kinds of exercise. And, cutting down over the holidays? Yeah good luck with that.

Mrs. M said...

Sounds like we have the same trainer! :)

Jack Steiner said...

The Six Million Dollar man rocked- scared me silly when he fought Big Foot. Now I laugh at that episode.

When I coach soccer I try to run with the kids. Not a perfect solution, but it helps.

Anonymous said...

I started doing curls with my two year old the other day. He laughed and I felt better - for a few minutes :)