Thursday, December 2, 2010

Living Under a Rock


Wow, can it really be December already?  With only 3 short weeks until Christmas?  I'm not sure how that happened.  But then again, I am also unclear about a lot of newsworthy events that are happening each and every day. 

So, if you run into me on the street, don't ask me about the latest headlines because, even though I may attempt to feign knowledge, I probably will have no idea what you are talking about.  I am ill informed.

That also happens to be the topic of my post over at Dad Revolution today.  Here is an excerpt:

I, SeattleDad, will admit it. I once was a junkie. A news junkie that is. I just couldn’t get enough of the stuff.

When I grew up in the 70′s and 80′s on our small dairy farm the local news was almost always on. At 6:00 AM, 5:00 PM and again at 11:00 PM I would learn which storms were on their way, who was robbed, injured, or killed in the big city - and most importantly how our regional sports teams had fared.

Those time slots were then followed by the national news, which to this farm kid was even more foreign, fascinating, and a must see. At first I watched only because my parents did. But eventually watching became habitual for me, and by the time I was a teenager I completely craved being informed about what was happening in the world around me.
-
If you want to follow my path from being ultra informed to living under a rock, you can click over and read the rest [here]
-
Thanks.  And as always, all comments are read and much appreciated.

3 comments:

Homemaker Man said...

I read this, it comes to my email, and I feel the same way about pop culture too. I used to be a trivia machine and now I couldn't care less. Also, I read your last post and I didn't comment because I didn't want to come across as patronizing--because I'm not--but:

Awwwwww.

goodfather said...

Yup, I'm a pop news junky. I'm fascinated by science and space news (NASA just discovered a new type of life based on arsenic), and I'm waiting for the Last Story: Asteroid Headed For Eart-, but that's about it. Fashion, entertainment, and sports don't hold my interest. I wish I read The Economist, but settle for the international edition of CNN.

Thanks for the blog roll entry!

Didactic Pirate said...

I've been under a rock regarding news for the last week too. Heading over to DadRev to read your post and nod my head vigorously in agreement, as I always do when I read your stuff.