Monday, December 27, 2010

SeattleDad's 2010 Best Album Post

Happy Monday Readers.  I trust you all have had a joyous holiday season so far.  Christmas was once again a wondrous time for us here at LIAYF.  No one short of Jacob Marley himself can bring the holiday spirit to your home like a 3 year old, and Lukas didn't disappoint.  He is an absolute joy to have in our lives. And, as a bonus we all get to spend the better part of this week at home and together.

Being a big fan of new music, I have always wanted to do a best album post.  This year I actually bought, was given, downloaded, or just listened to a ton of great releases.  Below I list my top 10 for 2010.  I have linked each to their MySpace music page and when possible directly to the page where you can play the album.  So give a listen, and tell me what you think with a comment.  You will see that my musical tastes tend towards a blues, rock, alternative, folk, indie vibe.

Enjoy, and be sure to let me know what your favorite releases of 2010 were.

10. Beach House - Teen Dream - I didn't purchase this album but listened to it several times on MySpace.  I love the ethereal feel to this release and want to hear more from this Sub Pop band.
-

9. Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void - This Portland outfit doesn't disappoint on it's 6th studio album of 'electro country' indie tunes. I especially enjoyed Sadie.


8. The National - High Violet - Strong follow up to Boxer containing one of my favorite songs of the year Blood Buzz Ohio. Makes me want to go to Ohio on a swarm of bees.
-

7. The Black Angels - Phosphene Dream - My first taste of The Black Angels and I was taken with what I heard.  Has an edge to it, and a unique sound that can't be mistaken for any other band.


6. Mt St Helens Vietnam Band - Where Messengers Meet  - Seattle band on the rise. Give them a listen and let me know what you think.


5. The Walkmen - Lisbon -  Strong release from start to finish. The first couple of tracks, Juveniles and Angela Surf City are especially good.
-

4. The Black Keys - Brothers - I own everything from The Black Keys.  I keep waiting for the next record to fall off in quality, but it doesn't happen.  Brothers is a good as any and worth having in your collection.


3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs  - I had heard the hype surrounding this band, but never owned one of their records.  I understand now where the accolades came from.  The sound is large, diverse and addicting.


2. The Head and the Heart - The Head and The Heart - If this release is indicative of what this Seattle group is capable of, you will see them around for a long time to come. It is loaded with songs that you will remember and sing along with.


1. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt - I played this album over and over and over again when I first picked it up.  It lives in the seams between folk and alternative, and is filled with terrific melodies and lyrics. My favorite release of 2010.


9 comments:

OWTK said...

I bought Head & the Heart a couple weeks back after you Tweeted about them. amazing disc! My 6-year old sings along with nearly every track, but especially the lines "All my friends are talking about leaving" and "I'm not walking away / I'm just hearing what you're saying for the 1st time / Sounds like Hallelujah for the first time"

So, thank you sir for turning me (and my family) on to the Head and the Heart!

Check out a band from my coast, River City Extension, and especially their tune "Friends & Family".

Eric said...

I can't believe it is really the end of 2010! Time flies when you're a dad of three that's for sure! Happy New Year.

Idaho Dad said...

I haven't organized my thoughts on the past year in music, but a few of my favorite albums are:
Once Around by The Autumn Defense
Music For a While by Revolver
Man Alive by Everything Everything
Step Out The Man by Jon Windle
Loveless Unbeliever by The School
The Orchard by Ra Ra Riot
Write About Love by Belle and Sebastian
Lonely Avenue by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby
Broken Bells by Broken Bells
Intriguer by Crowded House
Bang Goes the Knighthood by The Divine Comedy
Rain on the City by Freedy Johnston
The Universe is Laughing by The Guggenheim Grotto
Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons
All Days Are Nights by Rufus Wainwright

Didactic Pirate said...

A great list -- half of your picks are albums I have and love; the other half I'll definitely have to check out soon.

If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired, I'd add a few of my own choices for the year... I may have to come back tomorrow and do just that.

Happy New Year to you!

Keith Wilcox said...

Sadly, I don't know any of these bands except for Arcade Fire. But, I listed to most of them, so now I guess I know who they are! The last one, The Wild Hunt, I like a lot.

john cave osborne said...

love arcade fire. but i've only heard the singles that get air time on XM. need to pick that one up for sure.

the pick of your son in WW is classic. just like my guys, he's really starting to get big, isn't he? glad to hear Christmas was as good for you as it was for us.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Done with my updates. I am glad 'Next Blog' brought me to you today. Too cute! I like your dad theme. That gives me an idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeeeet I need some new tunes.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Jeff - Glad to hear that you liked them. I really love that disc and glad to have found them myself.

@Eric - Yes, it goes by so fast. I am hoping it will be spring soon.

@Idahodad - Great recommendations. Off to listen to the ones that I hadn't heard of.

@Didactic Pirate - Thanks. Perhaps a post of your own???

@Keith - Yeah, that one is one of my favorites, collection wide.

@JCO - Download at Amazon MP3 for $5 now. Thanks for reading up.

@Ms. Code - Updates? You do a list of your own? Anyway, glad to welcome you to the world of dad blogging. There are a lot of great guys out there writing about their experiences.

@DC - And yours???