Being a big fan of new music, I have always wanted to do a best album post. This year I actually bought, was given, downloaded, or just listened to a ton of great releases. Below I list my top 10 for 2010. I have linked each to their MySpace music page and when possible directly to the page where you can play the album. So give a listen, and tell me what you think with a comment. You will see that my musical tastes tend towards a blues, rock, alternative, folk, indie vibe.
Enjoy, and be sure to let me know what your favorite releases of 2010 were.
10. Beach House - Teen Dream - I didn't purchase this album but listened to it several times on MySpace. I love the ethereal feel to this release and want to hear more from this Sub Pop band.
9. Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void - This Portland outfit doesn't disappoint on it's 6th studio album of 'electro country' indie tunes. I especially enjoyed Sadie.
8. The National - High Violet - Strong follow up to Boxer containing one of my favorite songs of the year Blood Buzz Ohio. Makes me want to go to Ohio on a swarm of bees.
7. The Black Angels - Phosphene Dream - My first taste of The Black Angels and I was taken with what I heard. Has an edge to it, and a unique sound that can't be mistaken for any other band.
6. Mt St Helens Vietnam Band - Where Messengers Meet - Seattle band on the rise. Give them a listen and let me know what you think.
5. The Walkmen - Lisbon - Strong release from start to finish. The first couple of tracks, Juveniles and Angela Surf City are especially good.
4. The Black Keys - Brothers - I own everything from The Black Keys. I keep waiting for the next record to fall off in quality, but it doesn't happen. Brothers is a good as any and worth having in your collection.
3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs - I had heard the hype surrounding this band, but never owned one of their records. I understand now where the accolades came from. The sound is large, diverse and addicting.
2. The Head and the Heart - The Head and The Heart - If this release is indicative of what this Seattle group is capable of, you will see them around for a long time to come. It is loaded with songs that you will remember and sing along with.
1. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt - I played this album over and over and over again when I first picked it up. It lives in the seams between folk and alternative, and is filled with terrific melodies and lyrics. My favorite release of 2010.