Friday, February 1, 2008

Goodbye to an Old Friend

It is said that having children 'Changes Everything'! After 7 wonderful months with Lukas, I can't say that that is entirely true (I am esentially the same person), however, it does ring true in so many little ways and some not so little, as well.

I am esentially a frugal person. I don't like to spend money on things I don't really need. Therefore, I tend to hold on to things until they are 'well loved' you might say. However, now that I have a son I have had to change my philosophy with regards to some possesions that may not measure up in the realm of the 'safe for baby' dept. Therefore, Mrs. LIAYF and I decided that with Lukas about to enter day care and both of us needing to drive, we would upgrade our second vehicle to something suitably safe for the Budlet. We ended up buying a Honda CRV crossover (today's answer to those who would never be caught dead in a minivan, yours truely included) which was just slightly used.

With that purchase, it is now time to say goodbye to my 20 year old S10 Blazer. I have had this vehicle for 16 years, and it has seen me through a lot of change. It has been a great car and, although is getting pretty rough around the edges (when cleaning it for sale yesterday, I joked that I was 'polishing a turd') and is definitley not up to the safety standards I expect for Lukas, it still runs well, and best of all, it is paid for long ago!

I thought this would be a difficult decision, to get rid of something that has been with me for so long (my wife and I had our first date, and more than a few memorable moments in that car), but in the end it was actually a very easy choice. Lukas' safety trumps all nostalgia and it is past time to find Blaze someone else who will make thier own memories with it. Hasta La Vista old friend!

1 comment:

Whit said...

Sounds like you got your moneys worth on that one.