Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pearl Jam Puts out Kids Album

A new Pearl Jam tape, album, disc, download, - whatever we are calling it these days, is a big deal in my hometown. After all they are Seattle boys (if you can still call 40 something men boys) who made it big. At EasyStreet Records, my local independent record store, there was even a midnight release party for Backspacer with an overflow location. Not opting to get a sitter, we waited patiently till Sunday to drop by EasyStreet, where my final birthday gift awaited me. Oh, how things have changed.

As for the album, I am really enjoying it. I mean REALLY. I have to admit I have been a huge fan since their inception. Mrs. LIAYF even had partial lyrics to Smile ingraved on the inside of my wedding ring ("Don't it make you smile"). Yes, this album was eagerly anticipated, and it didn't disappoint. The songs range from energetic and catchy (Gonna See my Friend) to soulful and beautiful (Just Breath).

I usually forgo listening to the radio or music on our drive to daycare, but this morning I couldn't help myself and slipped in the disc and hit the play button. Upon hearing the opening riff of gonna see my friend, Lukas smiled widely and proclaimed "Guitar!". I beamed, and asked him if he liked the music. His head nodded up and down with emphasis, but before the next song ended we had arrived at our destination.

On the way home, I turned up the music early on and let him listen. Looking in the rear view mirror I could tell he was liking what he was hearing. All smiles. As the song ended, Lukas let out a big "Yeah!" and clapped. Then he softly opined "It is nice moosic, daddy."

Some things, it seems, are inherently genetic.


13 comments:

Ron said...

Very cool. I kinda lost interest in them after their last album - maybe because I'm old - but Just Breathe is sticking with me. When that happens, I usually like the album. Always been more of a Nirvana guy though.

ericdbolton said...

I think the last one I got from PJ was No Yield?!? By that time I was just getting it because it was Pearl Jam and didn't really commit to it.. I couldn't tell you what songs were on it..

But I think I would rather have my kids singing to Pearl Jam other than Single Ladies and Boom Boom Pow which they do now.. :\

Ed said...

I've never been much of a fan--though my wife gets ga ga anytime you mention the name Eddie Vedder. I'll say this, though. Their live shows are great.

I'm sure I'll be listening to the new album soon---as soon as my wife gets it.

SciFi Dad said...

I was a hard core fan of Pearl Jam in the early to mid-90s (I lined up at midnight for both Vs. and Vitalogy - hell I even bought the Mirrorball Neil Young CD because they were in on it), but with the release of No Code and then Yield, I found myself less and less connected to their music. I haven't picked up or downloaded a release of theirs in over 10 years.

With that being said, this most recent release does sound better than their recent efforts.

Lindsay said...

I think I'm still in love with Eddie Vedder. Sorry, tmi?

I think it is genetic. My boys love "Ten" - then entire album.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@CK - I love Nirvana too, but haven't heard anything new from them in ages.

@Eric - No Code was before Yield, and I really liked the song Smile (see post). And exposing the little ones to some healthy guitar riffs can only be a good thing.

@Ed- Yeah, the live shows are fantastic. Haven't been to one in some time though. Last time, Mrs. LIAYF crowd surfed away from me while we were packed in tight with about 10,000 of our closest friends. Thought I would never see her again, so I married her.

@Scifi - This one has a different feel for me. Give it a try.

@Falk Family - Maybe they will like this one too. Lukas sure does.

Steve said...

(Ah shucks, the video won't play "due to "copyright restrictions in your country". Booo. Anyway...)

I loved it when Oliver started to want to listen to, well, anything but nursery rhymes. I mean getting him to listen even to Hayley's "Best of Dolly Parton" was a relief. But clearly you have leapt from nursery rhyme land to rock 'n' roll-ville in a single bound.*

*Warning: I am prone to wild and inaccurate exaggeration.

A Free Man said...

My older boy is just starting to show interest in 'my' music. But it's always a thrill when he likes something that I like!

I was never a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I certainly respect their body of work.

Silly Bus said...

What a nice blog you have..thanks for all this information.

Krystal said...

Pearl Jam rules all things!!! Little Kong loves it when I put BBC Radio 1 in the car - so I agree with you that some things are inherently genetic.

Playstead said...

Good to hear you like it. I was living (and partying)in Seattle in the 90's and love PJ. However; I haven't really liked the past few albums. The few songs I've heard from this one sound killer and can't wait to pick it up.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Steve- Too bad. That is a great song.

@A Free Man - He seems to like the riffs quite a bit.

@Kids Music - Glad you stopped by.

@Krystal - They sure do.

@Craig - This one is really resonating with me. I can't stop playing it and I haven't done that with a CD in years.

Ian Newbold said...

Awesome dude, totally awesome. Need to listen to it again on Spotify, and then get the boy to appraise.