Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Meaning of Everything

Today I realized the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Well, at least according to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Yes, today I turn another year older - 42 actually. Blow out the candles. Get enthusiastically sung to. Open fun gifts from my wife and son. And, in case you aren't quite comprehending what I am getting at: Today is my birthday!

Why am I making such a blatant pronouncement about this? Well, last year my birthday fell on a Friday, and attempting to be a bit clever with my own birthday post, I posted this Haiku Friday entry which was greeted by a resounding cyber silence.

That birthday post from last year continues to be the only post since the early days of this blog that garnered absolutely NO comments. Kinda laughable if you think about it now, but in the days following that post I was a bit melancholy that none of my blogging friends had figured it out and left me a comment.

Mrs. LIAYF just shook her head at me and told me that I needed to more obvious. She was right, as she often is.

So, again, today is my BIRTHDAY! Do as you will.

P.S. The meaning of everything isn't actually 42, as Deep Thought calculates in The Hitchhikers Guide.

No, actually it is this:


22 comments:

OM said...

He's the answer to "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

happy birthday.

(See? Already one more comment than last year).

Mrs. M said...

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Ron said...

Happy Birthday. Yes, the little ones make every new year worth it.

Dan said...

How tempting is it not to respond to this post. But unfortunately i'm too nice a guy.

happy birthday!

Being us... said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to many many many comments!

Jamie K said...

Happy Birthday! Before having kids I would always wonder what the meaning of life was... now I don't have enough time to think about much of anything.

OneZenMom said...

Happy Birthday!!!

So long, and thanks for all the fish. ;)

Captain Dumbass said...

Happy Birthday, James.

Idaho Dad said...

Happy Birthday!

I have a present for you... You won one of my Sunsweet Pineapple gift packs, but I don't think I have your address.

Dad Stuff said...

I heard somewhere it's your birthday. Have a great one.

Martin said...

I'm laughing at last year's attempt.
Haiku is beyond me.

Happy Birthday Sir.

Steve said...

Happy Birthday James. Sorry I'm late. Next year you'll have to be obvious and early!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@OM - Nice, I like that. Thanks.

@Mighty M - Thank you.

@CK - Sure Does. Thanks.

@Dan - Glad you are nice. I needed the response. lol.

@Being Us - Thanks. I already have so many more than last year.

@Jaime K - Thanks, and I hear you on that one.

@Zen Mom - Great comment. Thanks!

@Captain - Thank you.

@Idaho Dad - Thanks. Nice gift too. I will send you my info.

@Dad Stuff - You heard right. Not sure why I am so happy about getting old, though. Thanks.

@Xbox - Yeah, that was a lame attempt. I think I will stick with obvious from now on. Thanks.

@Steve - I have no problem with a late birthday wish. Thanks.

Lady Mama said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday! Hope you had a nice day.

SciFi Dad said...

Happy Birthday sir.

I too know the sting a low (or non-existent comment count can bring) on a post you were expecting some.

WILLIAM said...

Happy B-day to you (a couple of days late.)

FilmFather said...

Happy birthday, Anakin! I mean, James.

See, because your blog is called Luke, I Am Your Father, and Luke's father was...

*sigh* I'm sorry, I'll show myself out...

A Free Man said...

Happy Birthday! How does life look from the other side of 40? I'm rapidly approaching...

Ed said...

Damn! I missed another party.

Hope it was good. Oh, and trust me--the forties are not all they're cracked up to be.

Ed said...

Damn! I missed another party.

Hope it was good. Oh, and trust me--the forties are not all they're cracked up to be.

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday, I've been out of town and I guess Western Massachusetts hasn't heard of the internet yet. I hope you had a great one.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Lady Mama - Thanks, it was great day.

@Scifi Dad - Quite a sting it is. Thanks for the wishes.

@William - Thank you sir.

@Ed - Crack being the key word there, as in joints.

@A Free Man - See Ed's comment. Thanks.

@PJ - Thanks. I'm sure they will get there eventually.

@Film Father - LOL. Thanks for the birthday wishes.