Monday, August 26, 2013

Han Solo Shot


We were finishing up a family biking trip this afternoon, which culminated in a short shuttle ride that dropped us off a few blocks from home, when we realized as we departed the shuttle that, after sprinkling for a while, it was now beginning to rain in earnest.

After riding a few miles, and playing hard on the beach for the afternoon, Lukas was pretty tired and had fallen asleep on the bus ride.  We had taken the bus to avoid a pretty steep grade we would have had to navigate had we decided to ride all the way home.  We're practical like that.

Anyway, so as we arrived at our stop I unloaded the bikes from the front of the bus while Mrs. LIAYF stepped off the bus with a sleeping 6 year old hanging off of her neck.  To that point we hadn't bothered to don our rain jackets, but with big drops coming down I fished our jackets out of the bike panniers.

Mrs. LIAYF set Lukas down and I told a now bleary eyed Lukas to hold out his arms while I slipped the light blue rain jacket over his shoulders and grabbed each side so I could straighten it across his little chest.

It was at that point that he looked up at me, and with the look of a tired boy still in his eyes said.....

"Snap it up, Fuzzball."

Then, and only then did he let a wide smile cross his face.  Of course, the unexpectedness of that zinger caused me to laugh out loud.  I mean, his timing was spot on and took me by complete surprise.

To that I could only say.  "Well played young Padawan.  Well played."

The comedic force is certainly strong in this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know he will rise up and destroy you one day? But until then, enjoy the best father-son relationship in the Galaxy...

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Modernfatheronline - Yeah, I am anticipating that. That's why I am enjoying it while I can. Thanks for stopping by.

daniel said...

I hope you said "Don't get cocky, kid."

James (SeattleDad) said...

@daniel - I wish I could go back and say that, but sadly no.