Thursday, March 5, 2009

Not about Lukas

Granted, this blog is "Luke, I am Your Father" but I thought it high time I pen a post that is not at all about my little guy. Not about how he is speaking in sentences. Not about how he is rapidly learning his colors and can call many of them by name when turning the pages of his Richard Scarry "Colors" book. Not about his sleeping habits. Nor about his future career possibilities.

No, not even about his love life. Or his enemies. Or his friends. Hmmmmm......



(Don't be fooled by this picture, this post is not about Lukas)

You can see I haven't put a lot of thought into where I take this from here. Unfortunately, beyond my life with my wife and my son I really don't have large list of topics to blog about. Yes, I am that boring. I don't have television in my home, so I'm even slowly losing touch with what is happening outside my sphere of influence. I am ok with that for now, but it does have it's down side when searching for interesting topics.

Ok, thinking . . . Ya know, this is actually harder than I thought it would be.

Da, Duh, Da, Duh . . Da, Duh, Da . . . Da, Duh, Da . . DA, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da

(Yes, that was the Jeopardy music)

Music! I knew inspiration would come along. Ok, I am really into music and discovering new bands. Ours is a very musical family - we listen to music all the time, make up goofy songs to ordinary events, dance around the house, and are all mad kazoo players. Music is one of the things we can enjoy together that doesn't interrupt our family time (unlike TV). In fact, part of my job as "Head of Household" (my wife is rolling her eyes) is to find new music for our home.

With that in mind, here is a short list of personal musical finds I have made over the past few months. Some you may be very familiar with and some you might never of heard of before. But check them out and let me know what you think.

The Avett Brothers (Mrs. LIAYF's personal favorite)
Blind Pilot
The Twilight Sad
Frightened Rabbit
Japanese Motors
The Dutchess and the Duke
The Moondoggies
Pela
Silversun Pickups
The Blakes
Fleet Foxes*
Beruit*
Band of Horses* (My personal favorite)

(*OK, these last three are not recent discoveries, but we do dig these bands). Go ahead and leave a comment and let me know the bands you have recently discovered.

I would love to check them out too.

10 comments:

Jason Roth said...

Great list. Some I've become fans of and others I have yet to discover.

Momo Fali said...

Um...recently? Like in the 90's? Yeah, I'm tragically unhip like that.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Vegas Dad - Check them out. They are all great. Any to add to the list??

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Momo Fali - Hey, the 90's had some great music! Some of the newer stuff is pretty good too though. Click through and give my list a listen. And if you ever find a cool new artist, drop me a comment.

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you are a real person too...

Ed said...

Now new by any means but I've been digging some Jimmy Eat World lately.

SciFi Dad said...

Not that you asked, but mine your own childhood, adolescence, college life, etc for blogging stories... you'll be surprised what kind of stuff you can come up with.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@MTAE - I guess I have a bit of a life outside of my son. Not much yet though.

@Ed - Thanks. I checked out JEW and I liked them. I think I had heard the name before, but not the music.

@Scifi - Thanks. I have read a lot of your posts from such ideas and have enjoyed them. I think I have a few ideas up my sleeve.

Anonymous said...

ok. am i the only dork here who has never ever even remotely heard of any of those bands?? lol i am so not into music, but i love to sing (albeit VERY off-key). i had hubby buy me fergie's the duchess cd xmas before last and i listened to it for a year. i mean that was the ONLY thing i listened to. i'm pathetic. but i know all the words to all the songs on that cd. :)

Anonymous said...

oh. i just remembered why it is that i'm so bad about liking new music. i like to sing along. that's hard to do with something you don't know. i usually don't like a new song until i'm forced to hear it several times on the radio and learn the words. then all of a sudden i like it.

told you i was weird.