Monday, April 27, 2009

Afternoon Coffee With E.T.

As the eerie realization slowly began to sink in, I sat there not quite sure how to react. I felt an ever so slight shudder pulse clear through my body, but belayed any evidence of this to the person sitting directly across from me.

While visiting a neighborhood coffee shop and kids play area a few days ago, Mrs. LIAYF and I met a very nice local mother with her 2 1/2 year old twins (a boy and a girl). As Lukas and the twins played together we chatted amiably with this otherwise normal mother. And as we made small talk: "Where do you work?" "Do you come here often?" "Where do you live?" that sort of thing, it became oddly clear to me exactly who this woman was.

Mrs. LIAYF and I used to walk a lot all around our neighborhood before Lukas was born (we take shorter walks with our son now). And, about 8 blocks south of us on our street, we would often see a couple who, from a distance, looked a lot like us, lived in a house very similar to ours, drove cars much like to ours, and who at some point were obviously expecting a family addition (something we had been waiting a very long time for ourselves).

We secretly dubbed them our Evil Twins.

So, when this woman described to us where her home was in retrospect to ours, all doubt was cast aside. This woman was Mrs. LIAYF's Evil Twin! And, you know what? She had a really terrific attitude despite being an evil twin. Her kids were sweet and well behaved too. Hard to believe! At one point I even felt terrible for her, because her husband, my very own Evil Twin, was currently overseas bravely serving our country in Afghanistan.

As far as evil twin types go, these seemed to be top notch folks. Frankly, we couldn't have hoped for better. I guess we're lucky that way. At the time I seriously debated it, but in the end I decided against telling this sweet woman named 'Mandy' she was Mrs. LIAYF's Evil Twin.

She was so nice, we thought it best if she remained blissfully ignorant.

12 comments:

Super Mega Dad said...

This is the reason I'm completely anti-social and never talk to my neighbors. That way I'm never anybody's "evil twin". :)

SciFi Dad said...

Wait... if Mrs. LIAYF and 'Mandy' were that close, they could have touched hands, and then the whole space-time continuum would have imploded upon itself!

I find your cavalier attitude about this mildly disturbing.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Super Mega Dad - All they have to do is to see you walking around. It can, and probably does, happen to us all.

@Scifi - True, but I take the fact that we are all still here as a good sign.

Crisis averted for now, but just to be safe we may avoid her if we see her there in the future.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should stay away from the husband...it could turn into some kind of weird LOST episode.

Dad Stuff said...

That is always the evil twins' master plan. To look normal and nice until their giant laser is built inside their secret lair in the middle of a fake volcano.
Watch out!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@MTAE - I have been an ardent follower of LOST but I have to agree that some of the recent episodes have been pretty stupid.

@Dad Stuff - Ha! There has been some rather strange construction happening down the street come to think of it.

Mrs. LIAYF said...

(from Mrs. LIAYF)
Based on your comments, it would seem that none of you boys have evolved past a sixth-grade fascination with comic books, lasers, and x-ray glasses. Don't worry, your wives still love you!

Mocha Dad said...

Oh, no! Mandy has brainwashed Mrs. LIAYF. Quick, get the comic books, lasers and x-ray glasses.

DCUrbanDad said...

That have you right where they want you.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Mrs. LIAYF - Ahh, you know me too well. Me loves you too.

@Mocha Dad - Yes, I need all my blogger buddies to help with an intervention. You in?

@DC - Perhaps, but we are on to them. They don't know that we know.

Captain Dumbass said...

You never know, they still maybe evil. Maybe they've got a grow up running in the basement or they're cooking meth. Is he really in Afghanistan? Really?

Always go with your gut. Watch your back.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Captain - We may even wake up one day and realize they have assumed our lives, and that no one knows us anymore. And that Lukas calls them mommy and daddy. This is getting creepy.