Saturday, May 24, 2008

Blog Holiday - Missing Children's Day

Sunday, May 25th is National Missing Children's Day. This is hardly a holiday, but I thought it an important awareness day to focus on for this week's Blog Holiday.

As a new parent to a happy and healthy boy, I can't even fathom what it would be like to have my child suddenly disappear from my life without any knowledge of where he was or how he was doing. I couldn't fully understand such feelings 11 month ago, but now just the thought makes me want to run over to our daycare and grab Luke, hold on tight, rush him home, and bar the doors to keep out any bad people who would do him harm.

It is both heartbreaking and sobering to visit the Missing Children's Blog, today's blog of note. I chose this blog because of the work it does to publish information on missing children, in an effort to reunite them with their loved ones. Please take the time to check out this site, in the rarest of chances you might recognize one of these children or be able to help in some other way.


Finally, for more information on how to prevent your own children and families from becoming victims, please check out these other helpful resources, and don't forget to hug your kid tonight!!

A Family Survival Guide When Your Child is Missing
AMBER Alerts by State
Child Protection Publications
Code Adam
Code Adam Alerts in Government Buildings
FBI Kidnapping and Missing Persons Investigations
FBI Parental Kidnappings
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Sex Offender Registry National Search
National Child Id program

5 comments:

Jason Roth said...

I'm with you on this. Never thought about it much until Zane entered our family. We always have our eye on him. We never, ever let him out of our site. There are too many wackos out there.

Unknown said...

Amen to that! Thanks for posting these great links!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Jason - I didn't think about it much either until becoming a father. Now it is safety first. I feel like I get suspicious if someone gives us a weird look, but I guess that is just being a dad.

@Darrin - Your welcome. I especially like the idea of getting kids fingerprinted and we will be doing that for Lukas in the near future.

The Ordinary American said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I was largely unaware of this day until I read your post. I suppose it's mostly denial, or the refusal to entertain the idea of Cooper going missing that keeps me from thinking about this type of thing. Thanks for this post, and for helping to increase awareness.

Martin said...

Such a fine line, between being careful and the rest.

Good links.

Although, I do get funny looks when I'm out and about as it is...