Friday, October 31, 2008

Reunion Tour

Happy Friday! Happy Halloween! And best of all Happy Birthday Mrs. LIAYF!

Yes, it is my wife's birthday today, one of the most festive days of the year. She should be kicking back, with a warm beverage in hand, thumbing through magazines, getting a foot rub, or whatever else catches her fancy. But alas, she is doing none of those things, and neither is she opening any gifts.
-
Instead, It is yours truly who is getting the the great gifts today, and better yet they are being airmailed right to my Dallas doorstep. Yes, Lukas and Mrs. LIAYF are traveling out this very afternoon to spend a few days with me here in the Dallas area visiting some friends. And not a moment too soon, I might add. We certainly need a good dose of family togetherness time to lift our spirits out of the pit they have been in recently.

I have been here in Dallas, wrapping up my business conference, but honestly, my mind has not really been in the game for the past several days. Granted, I have learned lots of important things, and have also diverted my attention briefly with other interests (visiting Dealey plaza and standing on the grassy knoll) but as recent readers will understand, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't go more than a few minutes without wondering how Lukas and his amazing mother (the birthday girl) were faring at home.

The Mumps-like virus that plagued Lukas for nearly 2 weeks would not go down without a serious knock-down, drag-out, kicking, screaming, hair-pulling, bloody lip fight. However, that particular holiday ghoul has finally been vanquished, once and for bloody all. (Fingers crossed, breath held, garlic necklace? Perhaps it works on Vampires and Mumps-like viruses too)
-
It was funny that, as I wrapped up my business here this morning, I glanced skyward to see, staring ominously down at me like the Death Star on a skewer, the Dallas Reunion Tower. Thankfully there were no giant laser beams which shot out of it to destroy any worlds while I watched, but noticing it's name on the wall outside did seem a fitting reminder that very long week my family has endured is finally at an end. Best of all, I was headed for a sweet reunion of my own. Well, I am off now to DFW and might not be checking in for several days, so I wish you all a great weekend.
-
If I see someone dressed like Lord Vader at the airport, I'll be sure to direct him to the Hyatt.

7 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Enjoy the visit with your family, and Happy Birthday Mrs. LIAYF.

Jason Roth said...

Happy Halloween and Birthday to Mrs. LIAYF.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. LIAYF.

Posh Totty said...

Happy Halloween and happy birthday to the mrs LIAYF I hope you all enjoy your time together Xxx

Martin said...

Sweet, happy birthday Mrs A.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I travel for work. It's good to see that your family is able to visit with you. I haven't been so fortunate, yet. Have fun here in Texas.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Thanks for the Birthday wishes everyone. It didn't go quite as we had expected. I will be working on a post to explain!