Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Not So Stunning Likeness

For his birthday, Mrs. LIAYF and I picked up a Doodle Pro for Lukas to play with during his car rides. I figure he will eventually scratch out some decent drawings. I give this modest prediction not without a certain amount of logic being factored in.

Sure, I could have donned the doting parent hat and suggested that, in addition to acing the SAT's, becoming the next great action film star, graduating summa cum-luade from Harvard Medical School and, of course, becoming PUSA, my son will also grow up to draw and paint amazingly beautiful portraits which will hang on the walls of the worlds premiere museums. Anyone heard of The Louvre?
-
But I'm feeling a bit honest tonight.
-
Sure, his mother can scribble out drawings on demand that bear a fairly solid likeness to what is being requested. On the long ride home from Grandma and Grandpa's farm the other day, expectations were raised when she was able to draw realistic versions of a kayak, a digger, a tugboat, a train engine, an airplane. The list goes on.

But me? I have trouble playing hangman. Stick figures often complain that I give them a bad name. If Lukas has inherited any of my artistic genes, then we should just scratch Famous Artist off the list of potential future careers for him now. Done.

So, when we arrived at daycare this morning and my son looked at me with his biggest smile, bright eyes, and outstretched Doodle Pro and asked with his sweetest voice "Draw Elmo Daddy?", I had no choice but to give it my best shot. Luckily he had his little stuffed pal there for me to focus on.


Personally, I think it looked like an albino Sleestak. But surprisingly, Lukas actually liked it!

Really, I won't be surprised if he wakes up from a nightmare tonight.

14 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Can't sleep... creepy Elmo'll eat me.

Can't sleep... creepy Elmo'll eat me.

Can't sleep... creepy Elmo'll eat me.

Can't sleep... creepy Elmo'll eat me.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are really left-handed and didn't know it...

Mrs. M said...

I think it's a pretty good rendition, dad. Way better than what I would have come up with, and believe me, I've tried. At least "Elmo" looks happy. And ready for a hug. You first. ;-) PS: McMommy mentioned you on twitter yesterday, I live in Bellingham. That's how I found you......

Lady Mama said...

Wait... is that a frog? Or an alien with puffy cheeks and tentacles?

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Scifi Dad - He did have an unexplained blip. This had to have been the cause.

@MTAE - That must be why it is such a skilled piece of art. Yeah.

@Mighty M - Thanks. I guess if you are two you might conceive that as a hug rather than an "I'm going to GET you" gesture.

Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to run across bloggers from the NW.

@Lady Mama - Isn't a 'Sleestak' really just an creepy alien who plays with crystals and owns a quality fog machine?

WILLIAM said...

Next time try to draw a sleestak and I bet it will look more like Elmo.

DCUrbanDad said...

Is that tear falling off his cheek?

WeaselMomma said...

That was a better Elmo than you give yourself credit for. I recognized him even before I read it!
If I can be so bold, can you install the blogger widget for followers? I'd like to click it.

Captain Dumbass said...

A tear or a piece of flesh from his last victim?

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

haha, cute. You should see some of the things I draw when my kids ask me to draw things--SCARY! lol

Trooper Thorn said...

It looks like Grover and Paris Hilton fell into the transporter unti from 'The Fly' and were combined into one being.

Did anyone make 'The Fly III'? I think we've got a plot here...

James (SeattleDad) said...

@William - I like the way you think.

@DC - Yes, it is a tear of happiness for being alive!

@WeaselMomma - Yeah? Maybe I really am better than I think...Nah just my best work.

@Captain - Ha! I'd be careful of falling asleep tonight, man.

@Petra - Just think what kinds of expectations they will grow up with as far as art is concerned. Scary indeed.

@Trooper - There was a Fly II? Maybe that is where the sleestaks came from. No one ever did explain thier existence. It has perplexed me all these years.

That and the cival war soldier in that one episode of LOTL. What was up with him?

Super Mega Dad said...

Better watch out, the people at Sesame Street World Headquarters will see this and want to hire you to "reimagine" a brand new Elmo!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Super Mega Dad - Only if they are branching out into the horror genre.