Monday, July 13, 2009

What's Up Bro?

"We don't want to get this, because it has lavender in it" remarked Mrs. LIAYF as we perused the aisles of our local PCC natural market looking for a new brand of sunblock for Lukas.

"Yeah, I don't want him to smell girlie either"

"No, not because of that. You know, because exposure to lavender can cause boys to grow breast buds."

"....Huh?"

"Yeah, I read it somewhere that exposure to lavender can trigger that reaction in boys."

I was skeptical, so I looked it up. Turns out it's true. What a scary thought!

Now, I realize this may not be frightening to you, however this is what Lukas and I have to walk past several times a day when coming and going from my house:

It may be time to raze these plants for Luke's sake. Or at least keep him from playing with them.

Plus, I'm not sure what long term effect this exposure has on adult males, so it may be time for me to do a few extra push-ups each morning. Which is a much better alternative to, say, getting sized for a Manzier.

Or was that a Bro?

15 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

Wowzas! For real? Think it would help me? I'm needing a little pick me up after 3 kids...

Lady Mama said...

What?! I had no idea. I've never liked lavender - the look or the scent, so we have none around here thankfully. And moobs are just not cool.

Captain Dumbass said...

WTH? I've got a giant patch of it beside my sundeck! I thought it was the push-ups.

Mrs. M said...

I had no idea, but I think you're safe. Just don't go rubbing your chests in it...

Knatolee said...

Um, will Mrs. LIAYF be pleased to come out one day and discover that her beautiful lavender has been annihilated? Did you not read my "husbands and weed-whacking" post?? ;)

Martin said...

that explains it!

FilmFather said...

Now that I think about it, maybe it's the lavender in our hand soap that caused my man boobs...

Anonymous said...

Blimey! Really!
I'm with Scary Mommy though - bring it on!

Super Mega Dad said...

Very interesting...a lot of baby products have lavender in them to promote "relaxation". We used to bath our kids in lavendar soap and bubble bath to try to calm them down....didn't seem to work, but hell, I guess I need to go through and get rid of the stuff now. :(

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Scary Mommy - lol. Maybe they make a lavendar wine?

@Lady Mamma - No moobs are not cool.

@Captain - Do you feel a bit strange when sunning yourself?

@Mighty M - Ha! I stopped that the moment I heard.

@Knatolee - She will most likely advocate for the later option.

@Xbox - Uh..hum, what exactly?

@FilmFather - Had to be. What else would explain such a phenomona?

@Penelope - Cheap alternative to a boob job, though I suspect you get what you pay for. lol.

@Super Mega Dad - Replace them with products manly smelling. This is your in.

Martin said...

my own 'growth' ;-)

Surfer Jay said...

Perhaps thats where my boy got his moobs from...

DCUrbanDad said...

I heard that soy can do that too.

Dad Stuff said...

I knew it! Weedwhipper tomorrow!

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Xbox - Which do you prefer, the Bro? lol.

@Surferjay - Rid your house of the cursed stuff now.

@DC Urban Dad - So can too much fried food.

@Dad Stuff - Come do mine next. But let me get Mrs. LIAYF out of the house first.