Thursday, January 7, 2010

Of The Way We Are

Memories,
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
-
What? It's a speck of dust in my eye! Sniff, sniff....tissue?
-
The truth is, I have been thinking a lot about memories lately. And, no, it's not because I recently-and by recently I mean within the past year-rented The Way We Were to go along with a bottle of Chardonnay and a box of dark chocolate as a stay at home date night with Mrs. LIAYF. Yes, It was a chick flick back before that term had been invented. But it wasn't all bad. (note: I may deny this at a later time)
-
No, It's because of Lukas. He's 2 1/2 now and long before any of us realize it he will have formed his first lasting memory. A memory that he will carry with him into this teenage years and through college. One he will have when he proposes to the love of his life. One that he will share with his own child some day. One that he may remember as a kindly old man gazing upon a group of happily playing toddlers at some point in the very distant future.
-
My first memory, more of a flash really, dates back to when I was 2 years old. I remember walking into our living room and seeing a black and white cartoon on the television set. It had Cowboys and Indians. Mrs. LIAYF can remember stepping on a bee hive before she turned two and many things from her second year. Not exactly a happy event, but definitely memorable. That being said, it is not at all unreasonable to think that Lukas may well remember things that are taking place now or have already happened.
-
And I keep asking myself "I wonder what will that memory be?"
-
Will it be his visit to the bouncy place this past weekend? He was almost hyperventilating with excitement.
-
Will it be Riding on the Big green Tractor at Grandpa's Farm?
-
Will it be getting to sit in the Big Red Fire Truck outside the grocery store?
-
Will it be Trick or Treating for the first time, or getting his red toothbrush from Santa in his Christmas stocking?
-
Or, perhaps....just maybe....his first memory will be of snuggling himself into Mrs. LIAYF's or even my lap and having us wrap our arms around him in a tight embrace, telling him what a wonderful boy he is, before reading him the story of his choice.
-
Sniff, sniff, sniff!
-
Do you have another tissue? That pesky dust is still in my eye...

20 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Aw, so sweet! I hope he will have many wonderful fantastic memories, especially of his younger years. I can't remember very much before the age of 5 and most of it is not warm and fuzzy stuff.

Thanks for posting less for me, I really appreciate it! :)

Steve said...

I clearly remember sitting on a yellow potty shouting to my parents in a sing-song tone "wipe my bottom please"! Last night my son shouted the same to me. (sniff)

It's amazing what we can find romantic.

Jack Steiner said...

My nine year old told me that he remembers the day his little sister came home from the hospital. It was pretty cool.

WeaselMomma said...

You should run out right now and by beef jerky, sit on your couch to a sports game, grunt and maybe even scratch.
You know, just because of the movie thing. You need balance.
Chances are his first memory will be completely random (like yours) or completely traumatic (like the Mrs.).

SciFi Dad said...

I have fragmented memories dating back to before six months. No joke.

I wonder what my kids will recall too.

DGB said...

Nice post.

I have a really clear first memory. Think I was about three. It's a good one. I'm sure Lukas' will be too.

Being us... said...

My first memory was at 3 helping look through watermelon seeds on the ground because my sister lost a tooth somehow while her and I were eating watermelon and spitting seeds! I have a feeling that the green tractor will definitely be a memory for Lukas....nothing like Grandpa and a tractor...just screams memory!!

Anonymous said...

My first memory was helping my dad lay brick on our front porch when I was about 3 years old. I had the bricks in my plastic toy wheelbarrow.

Very well put man. Being sentimental is good. And don't let people tell you it ain't manly to cry!

Jason @ The Devoted Dad said...

I'm right there with you, with my own thoughts of my kids growing fast, and hoping that they look back on their life with us and remember golden times. Man, did somebody take apart the vacuum filter in here- sniff.

Lady Mama said...

I too sometimes get a little sad that our toddler is growing up so fast. I think it's why I take so many photos. Hope your little guy's first memories are very happy ones.

ericdbolton said...

It's amazing what my 4YO remembers. My 14YO just a few years ago recalled something that happened prior to being 2 years old.

He got a gift from on of his mother's uncles. She through it away because she did not think it was appropriate for a nearly 2 year old.

So one day in the car, he asks about it. She says she threw it away. He started balling.

Kids are weird. :\

Slamdunk said...

What a great thought.

I'll have to think about my first memory: perhaps my Dad in his Marine dress blues going to the Marine Corps Ball and I was hypnotized by all of the medals and ribbons.

Otter Thomas said...

I need to get my act together before my son has his first memory. As it stands now the chances of it being one I want him to remember are not good.

Playstead said...

Unfortunately, his first memory will be when you dropped a can a paint on your foot or something. I can remember taking a pic with my brother when he was a few months old to send to the old man in 'Nam. I think I was 2 1/2.

The man, the dad and the husband said...

I agree with the other commenters that his first memory may be totally random. I like to look at the big picture though. It sounds like no matter what incident is in his first memory, it will be a happy one. Big-picture-wise, it sounds like you guys are providing a loving, positive and happy home for all kinds of memories to be made.

Well done brother!

Captain Dumbass said...

I don't know about child number two, but I'm sure child one will be able to recite, verbatim, every conversation he ever had. Freak.

john cave osborne said...

you've got me wondering what my first memory is. i think it's trying to pet a duck in a suburb called fountain city. i fell in the water and started crying, not b/c i was wet, but b/c the ducks all scattered away in horror.

all of Luke's potential first memories are wonderful candidates. i vote for snuggling w/ mom and dad or gradpa's tractor.

DCUrbanDad said...

My first memory is of calling to my babysitter - who lived across the street and may I say was cute - to come over and see me. When she got the house I would always say never mind.

A Free Man said...

Far out! Way to bring the pressure, Seattle Dad! I put myself under enough fatherhood pressure on a daily basis without having to worry about the first indelible memory!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Awww, that's a great post!

Am now going to ask my older sons right now what their earliest memories are!!