Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Random Tuesday Thoughts: 2010 Edition


It's Two Thousand Ten people. 2-0-1-0. Amazing that we made it really, once you consider how many doomsday prophecies we have survived. Tell me, Is it sad that I am more disappointed about there being no robotic cleaning maids, than about there being no personal jet packs?

Big congratulations to Mrs. LIAYF who had not only survived, but thrived on the first day of her life changing venture. She is Amazing! It seems that Lukas may have the most difficult transition of all involved, but that is to be expected given the situation. I fully expect that he will settle in nicely to his new routine in no time.

I am finally starting to feel better after spending the past two months fighting one type of bug or another. I was cultured again yesterday to see if the Strep I have been battling has finally been eliminated from my system. I should get the results sometime Wednesday. Wish me luck.

Here is the list of my 6 'favorite' movies from 2009. Why only 6? Because, sadly we only watched 6 movies from 2009 (that I can remember anyway).

1. Star Trek - Fantastic!
2. 500 Days of Summer - Terrific.
3. District 9 - Solid.
4. Where the Wild Things Are - Ok.
5. I love you man - Meh.
6. Extract - Forgettable.

I am craving chocolate recently. No, seriously craving chocolate. I am currently trying to avoid the candy ailse at our local grocery store for fear that I might shove an expectant mother out of the way to get to the Peanut M&M's.

I feel like my musical tastes are fairly evolved, but I have to tell you that I don't get the whole Radiohead love affair that many music fans share. In a recent Top Albums of the Decade list compiled by listeners at KEXP.ORG Radiohead occupied spots #2 and #4. Yes, they are alright but...seriously? Maybe I am missing something.

You know how you sometimes are walking next to a stranger at nearly the same pace and you have to cross them to get to your destination? In like 10 or fewer paces? And you have to decide whether to drastically speed up your stride, or make a nearly complete stop and let them surge ahead of you?
-
That's annoying.

And finally....

Almightydad Top Dad Blog  Badge2 89x120

Luke, I am Your Father was recently included in the Top Dad Blogs list compiled by Keith over at Almightydad.com! LIAYF came in at spot #80 when compared to the hundreds of other Dad blogs worldwide. I am both humbled and honored to have LIAYF included on this list along with so many other top notch parenting blogs.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend that you check out the list and read about what other dads around the world are talking about.

Happy 2010 everyone! And, if you have a prototype robotic maid you need to Beta test, please send it my way.

20 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I've only seen Star Trek on your list and I LOVED it!!

SciFi Dad said...

I am with you on both Star Trek and D9.

However, if you don't like Radiohead then you have no soul.

Anonymous said...

You totally inspired my post for Thursday :)

OM said...

RE: Radiohead.

Let me think of a nice way to say that...

You're dead to me.

Other than that, congratulations on watching 6 movies! Only four here, and only one of them on a husband-wife-only date night.

And I blew that one chance. Here's a pro-tip: On the single date-night you have with your wife, don't take her to see a movie about a man whose body is peeling. Especially not if the wife is not having an easy pregnancy. I heard a lot of "I can't believe you took me to see this movie" that night. Maybe I'll win back her heart if it wins an Oscar.

ericdbolton said...

Star Trek committed all forms of bad-assery.

I don't get RadioHead either...

Idaho Dad said...

I think I've only seen about six movies from 2009 as well. Star Trek was the most memorable. I've seen it twice already. Avatar was awesome. District 9 arrives in my mailbox tomorrow, looking forward to it. What else was there? Hmmm...

I loved Radiohead ten years ago. OK Computer and The Bends are perfect in my mind. Everything they've done since then, I couldn't care less.

Idaho Dad said...

I had to look up a list of movies from last year. How could I forget Up? Another Pixar gem!

Mom in High Heels said...

Awesome RTT. I saw a lot of movies in 09 and I'm still not sure how I did it. The only ones I saw in the theater were of the kid variety (I saw UP 4 times in the theater!), but we managed to pack a lot of real adult (well, not adult, adult, you know what I mean) movies into the evening after Indy went to bed. Star Trek was fantastic. You know, once you put aside every thing you knew from cannon. The casting was amazing. Simon Pegg made the movie for me.
I'm not a big RadioHead fan either. I mean, they're okay, I guess, but #2 and #4? No. Just no.

child trust fund said...

very cool blog. I am a father of three sons who are all mad about Star Wars and Stars Wars Lego. Spent Christmas building lots of clone troopers and IG88's!

Keep up the good work. Haven't seen District 9 yet but have just joined a video store so I can rent it out.

Steve said...

Happy New Year!

My only cinema trip in 2009 was with Oliver to "Where The Wild Things Are". Once the wild things turned up he decided it was too scary so we left! (It is WAY darker than the trailers make out.)

But as recompense I torrented Pixar's "Up" and watched that with him instead. We loved that.

Re Radiohead: I thought them self-indulgent, introspective and boring for years. Then one day I suddenly "got" them! (Still a bit self-indulgent though.)

Not From Lapland said...

You have managed to watch movies that don't incorporate talking animals, vehicles or normally inanimate objects running around and talking to each other? what? how?

Anonymous said...

Cant believe you didn't like "I Love You Man"... freakin' great movie...

JennyMac said...

I give I Love You Man a big fat MEH too.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Now, then, now then! I must take issue! Being the grammer girl geek that I am, I've thought long and hard over this decade and decide it is TWENTY-TEN!! Loved your movie list, but where is The Hangover? Great post by the way!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Radiohead, I've never been able to get into them, but then again my musical tastes tend to lean towards the classics.

Jason @ The Devoted Dad said...

I too thought Star Trek was the number 1 for this year- but we are also limited in what we have seen. Also, in addition to the annoyance you mentioned, I also think that when people are approaching you in a hallway and they are all standing side by side and expect for you to turn your body to avoid hitting them- rude!! I feel better now that I have gotten that off my chest!

Captain Dumbass said...

I only saw Star Trek and District 9 from your list, but agree with your ratings. And Radiohead? Ya, I don't get it either. And and, congrats on Top Dad.

Captain Dumbass said...

Was I snubbed because I can only make grilled cheese for my boys and it makes me a lesser dad?

Steve @ MyBoys3 said...

We loved 500 Days of Summer - haven't found a lot of other people that saw it. My wife watched it without me at the theater on her birthday (part of her present - a trip to the movies alone), she came back saying I'd love it. About a month ago I'm on a plane and had one of those nifty screens on the seat in front of me so chose that movie. Got within 4 minutes of the end and they shut off the screens for landing. I missed the whole ending! So had to rent it on Netflix last week to catch that list 4 minutes and see the happy ending.

Anonymous said...

BTW... congrats on being #80 on the Top Dad Blogs list. One day I aspire to be there...