Sunday, November 28, 2010

The End is Nigh


I certainly don't want to jinx things with the title I chose for this post, but for the first time I have a solid feeling that the last diaper we change for Lukas is lurking out there somewhere.  That it will actually happen. This is opposed to Mrs. LIAYF or I changing him out of his teen Huggies before sending him off to morning calculus class - which a couple of years ago seemed like a plausible scenario while we changed diaper after diaper...after diaper.

I have no plans to stand on my porch holding a cardboard sign that reads 'Mission Accomplished!' And I don't want this post to serve as a digital version of that either.  I am just speculating, based on recent developments. 

Save for naps and night time sleep Lukas has been in underwear for well over a year now.  It was a real struggle back then as we literally had to take him to the bathroom every 30 minutes to make sure that he didn't wet himself.  Even with those measures, we had to change clothes often in the early days.  And, even though he started to stay dry most of the day into these past Summer months, when we sent him back to his pre-school in August the change in routine caused a bit of a backslide. 

But recently our son has been stellar in his bathroom habits.  He has stayed dry nearly every day and the only recent accident he had was during our crazy snow ordeal last week.  And who could blame him for that?  Additionally his pull up diaper has been dry 9 times out of 10 recently when he wakes from his nap, and it has been some time since his morning diaper has been fouled by anything other than dampness. Plus, there have even been a few recent occasions on the weekend mornings where, lying in bed we have listened as he has awoken and gone first to the bathroom before coming to our room to snuggle.

Dare I say that the whole changing routine has become easy?  That these are the diaper days that we could only dream of 3 years ago?  What the heck. Yes, I will say it with conviction.  Even if some cosmic force wants to teach me a lesson, and an extra messy crap explosion is in my near future.

This is parenting, not baseball.  I'm not superstitious.  And besides, I have dealt with a lot of poop in my day.  I could handle that.

So, time will tell.  But I've gotta say, I have a good feeling about this one.  Good enough that I huddled up with Mrs. LIAYF at nap-time today and we decided that we would leave Lukas in underwear for his mid-day sleep.  He was excited about it.  That's where he is as I write this post.

So far so good.  Yes, the end is nigh.

P.S. It turned out to be a 1 1/2 hour nap and he woke up dry to much praise.  He grinned from ear to ear.

11 comments:

Slamdunk said...

That must be a great feeling, and I can understand the no jinx strategy. We still have on who is a stubborn holdout with the diapers..

Lady Mama said...

Yay for him! I can't wait to be at that point, though I'm pretty sure we're a ways behind you.

SciFi Dad said...

That's great news. I'm happy for all three of you.

I've got to say, though, that for us (with our daughter, so it may be a boy/girl) thing, as long as diapers were an option (even a night) she would hold it sometimes. We found that we had to accept the mess risk to help her move forward. A year in nighttime diapers (when he can stay dry all day) sounds like he's ready to be pushed a little.

ericdbolton said...

Nice job Lucas.. I'll have diaper issues for another two years probably...

And I'm talking about my 3 year old son..

goodfather said...

Yeah, 4 kids, and I still don't understand the Mystery of Potty Training. Our older daughter (oldest with my new wife, 3rd child for me, wow this is already confusing) was in pull-ups at night until she was well over 3. Our youngest trained herself at the age of 2.

Go figure. Congrats, and Good Luck!

WILLIAM said...

That is great. To be diaper free....ahhhh.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dale said...

"pull up diaper has been dry 9 times out of 10" -- good job! That's better stats than dentists recommending a certain kind of gum (they only nailed an 8 out of 10!) - I have one left in diapers -- how I long for that day!

Steve said...

Tis a happy day indeed when you no longer have Huggies on your shopping list. Well done Lukas.

Otter Thomas said...

Congrats. That is awesome. I have dreamed of that day since I changed my first diaper. When it comes I am popping the champagne ans celebrating big time.

Rachael said...

Epic. Oh, how I look forward to that day.