Friday, November 26, 2010

Fell on Holi-daze

-
Happy Friday all.  I hope all of my fellow American readers had a fantastic Thanksgiving yesterday, filled with delicious food and stimulating conversation.  We certainly did.  Lukas initially wasn't too hungry when we sat down to eat, so didn't get the full benefit of the feast which was laid out before us, but later he ate healthy amounts of turkey and, my personal favorite, stuffing.  Thankfully my mother, who always sends us home full and in a food coma, cooked two birds so that there would be plenty left over for everyone to take home.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. After all, how can you go wrong with a holiday centered around stuffing yourself to capacity with a plethora of delicious and fatty foods.  And that was merely the main course. Later, a ferocious battle took place in my mother's kitchen.  It was between my will power and pie.

Yes, I fought the pie - and the pie won.  I couldn't help it.  There were all nine kinds of pie that SeattleDad liked best.  Have you ever see those baseball players with the shaving cream pie in their face? That was me, but with pecan instead, and without the aid of someone shoving it there for me. 

I survived, but that means that today I have been walking around with the top button on my jeans unsnapped.  Not to worry though, my wingmen Belt and Sweater have my back. I mean my front....and my back.  You get the picture.  It's time to do more thinking about getting back in shape.  You see I am a planner so that's easy.  It's the implementation I could use some work on. 

Later, after we had driven home and put Lukas to bed for the evening, Mrs. LIAYF and I finished out our Thanksgiving by watching the movie Kick Ass.  Although it may strike a blow to any geek cred I may have garnered, I will admit that I have never been a huge fan of super hero/comic book movies.  Most don't do much for me.  Add to that the fact that this movie glorifies gratuitous violence, especially from an 11-year-old girl, and one might conclude that I wouldn't like this particular movie.  Well, sorry one you are wrong, because this movie lived up to it's name.  It was a Kick Ass movie with a terrific blend of humor, geek, action, and yes - violence.  Unlike many in the genre, it worked.

That brings us to today, Black Friday.  I, like almost everyone I know, usually ventures out to check out the deals on the day after Thanksgiving.  But for us, this year was different.  Besides some basic clothing items (socks) which weren't even on sale,  the only thing we really needed was an item that thankfully could be found at a minimal price today. 

I am thinking of getting a T-Shirt printed that reads 'I shopped on Black Friday, and the only thing I have to show for it is this stupid Blue Tooth'.  Sure we could have used a brand new HDTV, or an upgraded camera or laptop.  But we really didn't need those things, even though seeing them and all the other fancy products nearly sucked us in, so I just picked up the blue tooth.  It's against the law to talk on your cell and drive here in Seattle so I have been using my current phones speaker capacity for the past few months.  The Blue Tooth I needed, everything else not so much.

Plus, in these tough economic times it is a great idea to make use of what you already have.  To cinch your belt. 

Even when it's especially difficult after losing an epic battle with pie.

6 comments:

Didactic Pirate said...

Mmmmm.
Pie.

I thought I was still full from Thursday. Then you mentioned the pie.

Glad you had a good holiday, despite your will power's defeat. Happens to the best of us.

SciFi Dad said...

I often lose to my flaky crusted, fruit filled nemesis also. But I have never faced nine of them at once; I mean, that wasn't even a fair fight.

Anonymous said...

I managed to steer clear of the pie, but the stuffing took me down. Also, you get points for most excellent use of a Soundgarden song title in a blog post. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Didactic - Yeah, the pie was just the wafer that seemed to push me over the edge. Hope you had a great Turkey dad.

@Scifi - 9 is a slight (but not by much) exaggeration. That is a line from Harold and the Purple Crayon.

@PJ - For me it was the stuffing combined with the pie. I was in trouble going in.

I was going to do a straight Black Friday post, and call it Fell on Black days but then it expanded.

Thanks for all the comments.

Otter Thomas said...

You drew me in with the Pecan Pie. I only have one piece left of ours and I hope to finish it tonight. I love Thanksgiving too. Stuffing is also my favorite.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Otter - Pecan is dangerous. And I live dangerously.