Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wishful Thinking


Lukas was visibly excited as we approached the large fountain during an outing Sunday morning.  Most likely because we had spent nearly an hour at the very same location this past spring, tossing pebbles into it.  The fountain in question resides in the entrance to a secluded walkway at an outdoor shopping area close to where we live. 

Back in the Spring we had worried when we saw a security guard approach.  Perhaps we had been busted.  Caught red handed.  I was fully prepared for a harsh interrogation. Instead, this Paul Blart had simply smiled and struck up a conversation.  Apparently a dad playing with his toddler hadn't raised any suspicious red flags.

"Let's throw rocks in!" my now 3 year old little guy yelled as he sprinted over.  But unfortunately, this time around, there were no pebbles to be found.  "Looks like there aren't any rocks here buddy, but lets see what else I have available" I mentioned, as I reached into my pocket and pulled out a handful of coins.

"Here's a penny you can throw in" I told Lukas and as I gave it to him he immediately cocked his arm to toss the copper coin in.  Putting up the stop sign I then said "Hold on a second! This is also a wishing fountain. Do you know how it works?"  He slowly shook his head from side to side.

I then told him to 'think of something he wanted more than anything in the whole world', then to say inside his head 'I wish I had....' while tossing the penny into the water. 

A grin slowly rose towards his ears as thought about what it was he wanted more than anything else in the whole world. And then he tossed the penny into a high arc and as the coin splashed down into the water, he called out the one thing that he desired more than any other.

"Nice" I responded.  "Can I do that again?" was his predictable reply.

I pulled out the coins once again, but there were no more pennies.  A nickle would have to suffice.  "Lukas, I am going to give you a nickle.  Do you know how many pennies that equals?"  After he correctly responded 5, I told him that he could then wish for the 5 things he wanted more than anything else.  "Think hard" I implored him, all the while hoping that peace, happiness, and ever lasting health were among the riches that would populate our families future.

Again, he cocked his little arm and let the coin fly.  And as it came spiraling down he called out with certainty....

"CANDY, CANDY, CANDY!!!"

Ah yes, ever since Halloween he has been a bit preoccupied with treats.  But wait.... "That was only three wishes" I reminded him. "You still have two more."

"Oh!"  And then, while trying to keep from laughing uncontrollably, he finished:

"CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE!" 

9 comments:

Michael @ adaddyblog.com said...

Love it. Man, enjoy his lowered expectations while they last. My toddler is just two, so doesn't really grasp why some fat guy's coming down our Chimney with stuff for her. She seems oddly at ease with the overdressed (for the Texas weather) stranger invading our home. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Anyway, thank for sharing the smile. Have a great evening. I'm following now so won't miss more posts. Later!

Didactic Pirate said...

I totally get it. I routinely find myself wishing for Snickers bars. I just never enough change when I'm near fountains, dammit.

Slamdunk said...

Those wishes sound like my wife's wants...

Captain Dumbass said...

After reading that I just snuck myself a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup from the leftover Halloween candy. Thanks, Lukas.

SciFi Dad said...

I like his honesty.

twistedxtian said...

Nothing beats the honesty of a child. :)

ericdbolton said...

He has simple tastes.. Go back in 9 years and see if it's the same.

Mrs. M said...

A boy after my heart.... love it! :)

john cave osborne said...

dude...he knows that there are 5 pennies in a nickel? SOLID.